Time independent operators and Heisenberg eq - paradox?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-dependent operator a(t) with its equal-time commutator and the corresponding Hamiltonian. The Heisenberg equation of motion is also mentioned, and it is shown that a(t) equals a constant operator a_0 multiplied by an exponential factor. However, this leads to a contradiction as a_0 is expected to have a zero commutator with the Hamiltonian, but it is found to have a non-zero commutator. This discrepancy suggests a mistake in the previous calculations.
pellman
Suppose we have time-dependent operator [tex]a(t)[/tex] with the equal-time commutator

[tex][a(t),a^{\dag}(t)]=1[/tex]

and in particular

[tex][a(0),a^{\dag}(0)]=1[/tex]

with Hamiltonian

[tex]H=\hbar \omega(a^\dag a+1/2)[/tex]

The Heisenberg equation of motion

[tex]\frac{da}{dt}=\frac{i}{\hbar}[H,a]=-i\omega a[/tex]

implies that [tex]a(t)=a_0e^{-i\omega t}[/tex] where [tex]a_0[/tex] is a constant operator. Thus [tex]a^\dag a=e^{+i\omega t}a^\dag_0 a_0 e^{-i\omega t}=a^\dag_0 a_0[/tex] and so

[tex]H(t)=\hbar \omega(a^\dag_0 a_0+1/2)[/tex]

for all times. Since [tex]a_0=a(0)[/tex],

[tex][a_0,a^{\dag}_0]=1[/tex]

means that

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}[H(t),a_0]=-i\omega a_0[/tex]

for all times. But this it so say that

[tex]\frac{da_0}{dt}=-i\omega a_0\neq 0[/tex]

contradicting that a_0 is a constant. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your Heisenberg equation is not quite correct. It should be

[tex]
\frac{dA}{dt}=\frac{i}{\hbar}[H,A]+ \frac{\partial A}{\partial t}
[/tex]

where the last term accounts for any explicit time dependence in the definition of the operator [itex]A=A(q,p,t)[/itex], where [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are the canonical coordinates and momenta.

Then, we have [itex]a=(m\omega/2\hbar)^{1/2}(q+ip/m\omega)[/itex]. This has no explicit time dependence, so [itex]{\partial a}/{\partial t}=0[/itex].

But now [itex]a_0=e^{+i\omega t}a[/itex]. And this does have explicit time dependence. So if you plug it into the corrected Heisenberg equation, you will find [itex]da_0/dt=0[/itex].

I think I see that. Thanks.

Isn't it just a trivial mistake in elementary calculus? I mean
[tex] \frac{df(0)}{dt}=0[/tex]
but
[tex] \frac{df(t)}{dt}|_{t=0} \neq 0[/tex]

Demystifier said:
Isn't it just a trivial mistake in elementary calculus? I mean
[tex] \frac{df(0)}{dt}=0[/tex]
but
[tex] \frac{df(t)}{dt}|_{t=0} \neq 0[/tex]

Thanks, Demystifier. Always good to run into you here.

Well, yes, that is just what I thought. But the way the time dependent factors cancel in the Hamiltonian, and since the time-dependent factors are c-numbers so the commutator is all in the constant operators a_0, it as actually the constant operators which have the non-zero commutator with the Hamiltonian, not just that it is true at t=0. Hence my question.

1. What is a time independent operator?

A time independent operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to represent physical quantities that do not change over time. These operators are used to describe the properties of a quantum system, such as energy, position, and momentum.

2. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to time independent operators?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This principle is closely related to time independent operators, as they are used to calculate the average value of a particle's position and momentum, taking into account this uncertainty.

3. What is the paradox between time independent operators and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The paradox lies in the fact that time independent operators are used to calculate the average values of a particle's properties, while the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that these properties cannot be known with absolute certainty. This leads to a contradiction in the understanding of the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can the paradox between time independent operators and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be resolved?

There is ongoing debate and research in the scientific community about how to resolve this paradox. Some theories suggest that the uncertainty principle may be a fundamental aspect of the universe and cannot be fully explained or resolved. Others propose alternative approaches to understanding quantum systems that may help to reconcile the paradox.

5. How do time independent operators and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The concepts of time independent operators and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, which is the foundation of our current understanding of the universe at a microscopic level. These principles help us to explain and predict the behavior of subatomic particles and have led to groundbreaking discoveries such as quantum entanglement and superposition.