Time inversion of Brownian motion

In summary, the conversation is about proving that X=(X_{t})_{t\geq0} is a Brownian Motion. The person is trying to use the fact that it is a Gaussian process, but they are stuck. They asked for help and someone explained that they don't need to use the fact that it is a Gaussian process because BM is defined as a Gaussian process. They then calculated the distribution of X_t-X_s and found that they are not equal. They concluded that X is a BM because they have the same distribution.
InvisibleBlue
Hi,

I'm trying to prove that [tex]X=(X_{t})_{t\geq0}[/tex] is a Brownian Motion, where [tex]X_{t} = tB_{1/t}[/tex] for [tex]t\neq0[/tex] and [tex]X_{0} = 0[/tex]. I don't want to use the fact that it's a Gaussian process. So far I am stuck in proving:
[tex]\[
X_{t}-X_{s}=X_{t-s} \quad \forall \quad 0\leq s<t
\]
[/tex]
Anyone has any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
X_t-X_s is not equal to X_{t-s}, although they do have the same distribution.

Just calculate the distribution of X_t-X_s, and show that X_t-X_s, X_u have zero covariance for u <= s <= t. You should be able to conclude that X is a BM from that.

Edit: missed the bit where you said that you don't want to assume that its a Gaussian process. Why not? BM is defined as a Gaussian process, and you must use something.

gel said:
X_t-X_s is not equal to X_{t-s}, although they do have the same distribution.

Just calculate the distribution of X_t-X_s, and show that X_t-X_s, X_u have zero covariance for u <= s <= t. You should be able to conclude that X is a BM from that.

Edit: missed the bit where you said that you don't want to assume that its a Gaussian process. Why not? BM is defined as a Gaussian process, and you must use something.

So You think it's enough to show that those 2 have the same distribution?

Problem is that the notion of Gaussian Process is not introduced or used in this course. I guess I just have to use the properties without saying where it comes from.

Actually, I'm now suddenly very confused. We say that [tex]B_{t} - B_{s} = B_{t-s}[/tex] for [tex]B = (B_{t})_{t\geq0}[/tex] brownian motion. So this must mean that they have the same distribution. But if they are standard brownian motion (i.e [tex]B_{t}[/tex] ~ [tex]N(0,t)[/tex]) then we get that

[tex]B_{t} - B_{s}[/tex] ~ [tex]N(0, t+s)[/tex] and [tex]B_{t-s}[/tex] ~ [tex]N(0, t-s)[/tex]
(this is by the rules for adding and subtracting normal distributions)

clearly not equally distributed.

Am I missing something here?

InvisibleBlue said:
Problem is that the notion of Gaussian Process is not introduced or used in this course.

doesn't seem very good.

InvisibleBlue said:
Actually, I'm now suddenly very confused. We say that [tex]B_{t} - B_{s} = B_{t-s}[/tex]

Ok, you don't mean that they are equal. Just that they have the same distribution. Sometimes equal distributions are expressed by an = sign with a 'd' above or below it. Just saying B_t-B_s = B_{t-s} says that they are actually equal, which is wrong.

InvisibleBlue said:
[tex]B_{t} - B_{s}[/tex] ~ [tex]N(0, t+s)[/tex] and [tex]B_{t-s}[/tex] ~ [tex]N(0, t-s)[/tex]
(this is by the rules for adding and subtracting normal distributions)

What rules for adding normals are you referring too? There are no general rules - just rules for adding independent normals, which you seem to be using (but B_t,B_s are not independent) and rules for adding joint normals.

I think you to need to know at least the following,

1) B_t-B_s has N(0,t-s) distribution, and is independent of {B_u:u <= s}
2) independent normals are joint normal.
3) linear combinations of joint normals are joint normal.
4) joint normals with 0 covariance are independent.

You should be able to show that
(1) uniquely defines all finite distributions of BM
(1)+(2)+(3) => BM is joint normal at different times.

and, with (4), you should be able to answer your question.

aahhhh! I completely forgot about the whole independence issue!

Thanks a lot. This really helped!

1. What is time inversion of Brownian motion?

Time inversion of Brownian motion is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of particles in a fluid or gas over time. It is based on the principle that the movement of particles in a fluid or gas can be described as a random process, and that this process can be reversed in time.

2. How does time inversion of Brownian motion work?

The concept of time inversion of Brownian motion is based on the mathematical equations that describe the motion of particles in a fluid or gas. These equations can be used to simulate the behavior of particles in reverse, allowing scientists to study how the particles would behave if time were reversed.

3. What is the significance of time inversion of Brownian motion in scientific research?

Time inversion of Brownian motion is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to better understand the behavior of particles in fluids and gases. It has also been applied in the development of new technologies, such as drug delivery systems and nanotechnology.

4. Are there any limitations to time inversion of Brownian motion?

Like any mathematical model, time inversion of Brownian motion has its limitations. It assumes that the particles are in an idealized environment and that there are no external forces acting on them. In reality, particles in a fluid or gas are affected by various factors, such as gravity and intermolecular forces.

5. Can time inversion of Brownian motion be observed in real life?

No, time inversion of Brownian motion is a mathematical concept and cannot be observed directly in real life. However, its predictions have been validated through experiments and can be used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles in fluids and gases.