1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time reversal transformation of electromagnetic four-potential

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    Consider the time-reversal Lorentz transformation given by the 4x4 matrix:

[itex]\Lambda_T = \begin{pmatrix}
    -1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
    0 &1 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 &1
    \end{pmatrix}.
    [/itex]

In my relativistic quantum mechanics lecture, we discussed how the electromagnetic 4-potential transforms under this particular Lorentz transformation. Without invoking any sort of mathematical argument, the prof argued that the four-potential transforms as
    [itex]
    \begin{align*}
    A_0 (x^0,x^i)\longmapsto & A'_0 (x'^0,x'^i)=A_0 (-x^0,x^i)\\
    A_j (x^0,x^i)\longmapsto & A'_j (x'^0,x'^i)=-A_j (-x^0,x^i)
    \end{align*}
    [/itex]
    based on the idea that currents reverse under time-reversal.

Is there a good mathematical reasoning for this? It seems to me that since four-vectors transform as [itex]A\mapsto \Lambda A[/itex], the minus sign should be applied to [itex]A_0[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A coupling (scalar, not pseudoscalar) [itex] j^{\mu}A_{\mu} [/itex] is invariant, so that if j0 is invariant, then the space components of j and the ones of A have the same sign, namely -.

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    Ok, so I'm comfortable with the fact that the spatial components of the current are inverted under time reversal, i.e. ##{j'}^i=-j^i##.

But, why is ##j^\mu A_\mu## invariant? And what does ##j^\mu A_\mu## mean physically?

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4
    Hold on, I guess I see where some of my confusion is coming from.

In class, we showed that under a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda##, the current (just like any good 4-vector) transforms as ##j'^\mu={\Lambda^\mu}_\nu j^\nu##. But I guess this is only for proper orthchronous transformations. Why is this different for improper transformations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook