Time travel as a way of move across the cosmos

In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of using a time machine to travel back in time and move to different locations in the universe. However, this concept was deemed impossible by contemporary physics due to the Butterfly Effect and the difficulty of building a time machine. The conversation also mentioned a science fiction novel that explored this idea. The conversation ended with a request for help in finding the novel's title and author.
hsdrop
Hello everyone,
I have been trying to learn as much physics as my little brain can handle in my off time. I have to say this forum has made a world of difference helping me do so.
I would like to throw a concept out there at the risk of being told that it's nonsense and fringe science. Since the Big Bang the universe has been growing, becoming larger in size. So if (and a big if) one could control the flow of time. Would it be conceivable to travel backward in time to a point where things were closer together, move a little bit, then travel forward to find yourself light years away or even on the other side of the cosmos?
Just a fun thought, but if you do ridicule me for the idea at least tell me why it is so wrong.
Thank you everyone that replays.

Physics news on Phys.org
hsdrop said:
Would it be conceivable to travel backward in time to a point where things were closer together, move a little bit, then travel forward to find yourself light years away or even on the other side of the cosmos?
Hi hsdrop:

Contemporary physics tells us that travel backwards in time is impossible. Traveling forward in time is OK.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Algr and hsdrop
I'm afraid that's right. Given the premise that you HAVE a time machine, the rest of what you said makes sense. But that is one hell of a premise. If there is any other way to achieve such travel, it will likely be easier than building a time machine.

As if that wasn't enough of a problem: In order for this effect to be useful, you'd have to travel so far back in time that the Butterfly Effect would wipe whole galaxies in and out of existence. I'm guessing it's not going to happen any time soon.

Likes EnumaElish, hsdrop and DoctorPhysics
thank you everyone
with my thought that was only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I have a couple more thing that I would like to run pass the forum (or at least more knowledgeable people than me) that relate to this thread. So I'm wondering if I should just ask or post a new thread ?

Hi @hsdrop:

BTW, I recall a SF novel, (sorry I cannot remember title or author or when published) which involved traveling between about the 16th century and 20th century America. The premise was something like the following. People from the 20th travel from both East and West coast locations back to 16th. There they set up a business offering, for a premium fee, to quickly deliver items between the coasts. To do this, they take the items and travel to 20th, and then take air travel to move the items cross-country, and then travel back to 16th.

Regards,
Buzz

Anyone:

I would much appreciate any help to find the author or title to the novel I describe in my post #5?

Regards,
Buzz

This OP is not acceptable per our guidelines. The SciFi forum is not for testing new concepts.

What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time, either forwards or backwards. It is a popular topic in science fiction and theoretical physics, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of time travel.

Is time travel possible?

According to current scientific theories, time travel is not possible. The laws of physics, including the speed of light and the principles of causality, make it highly unlikely that humans will ever be able to travel through time.

What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to time travel?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that space and time are intertwined and can be affected by gravity and motion. This theory is often used in discussions of time travel, as it suggests that time can be influenced by factors such as gravity, but it does not provide a way to travel through time.

Are there any real-world examples of time travel?

No, there are currently no known examples of time travel. Some scientists have proposed theories and experiments that could potentially manipulate time, but these are still purely theoretical and have not been proven to work.

What are the potential consequences of time travel?

The consequences of time travel are purely theoretical, as the concept itself is not yet possible. However, some theories suggest that time travel could lead to paradoxes, such as the grandfather paradox, where altering the past could change the present or future in unforeseen and potentially dangerous ways.