Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are light and time somehow intertwined?

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    I'm wondering if time and light(entire spectrum) can only coexist simotanuously. When we look out into the cosmos and see stars they can be many light years away. Because it takes time for light to travel. That may have not been relevant. But what I'm saying is... Time is manipulated by the curvature of space time, and the faster you travel to the speed of light your time is manipulated. So does time and light have a relation? Are they completed coherent of each other, needing one another to co-exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, light travels at 299792458 m/s exactly. It has to, because photons are massless (well, that's taking some liberty). The statement brings in space too. I have a hard time (:smile:) imagining one of the three missing. But it's an odd triangle with time and space intertwined and light kind of linking the two.

Time isn't manipulated the way you describe: you don't notice that. What you do notice it that time seems to go slower for things/frames of reference that move relative to you.

4. Aug 30, 2015 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may find this helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-than-the-speed-of-light.478783/#post-3174586

The c in special relativity should not be thought of as the speed of light.

No. Light depends on relativity, but relativity does not depend on light. Relativity would have exactly the same structure if light didn't exist.

5. Sep 10, 2015 #4
    I agree. But, is there anything which qualifies to substitute light for the c-constant? I am hopefully thinking there is.

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Not really. Nothing else freely travels vast distances at c other than light.

7. Sep 10, 2015 #6

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gravitational waves.

8. Sep 10, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Ah yes, I forgot about those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook