Tinkercard Digital object and 3D printing

In summary: I converted 3D models to .X or .OBJ format.And I'd recommend testing those intersecting objects...I have no experience with them either. Good luck!
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Tinkercad digital object and 3D printing
Hello,

When creating a curved object in Tinkercad, something like a sphere, the spheres' surface does not look very smooth but rather meshy under close inspection. Will the 3D printed version of that sphere designed in Tinkercad have a smoother surface than the meshy surface it has in the software?

I think there is a distinction between 3D modeling softwares (like Sketchup) and 3D CAD softwares (like Fusion360).When compared with CAD softwares, can 3D modeling softwares create smoother and curvier digital objects which can then become smooth printed object?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've printed objects from TinkerCad before and they will be printed accurate to the models on-screen, just as any other objects from other programs. It largely depends on the residue that is created, and the scale.

Smaller scale is generally less polygonal but with more noticeable residue, vice-versa for larger scale.

If you want a printed item to be smooth, you could always sand it!

Likes fog37
Thank you.

What if the object is floating, i.e. it does not touch the TC workplane?
What if the digital object crossed the workplane with some portion of it being under the workplane itself? would the 3D print still be ok?

Thanks!

fog37 said:
Thank you.

What if the object is floating, i.e. it does not touch the TC workplane?
What if the digital object crossed the workplane with some portion of it being under the workplane itself? would the 3D print still be ok?

Thanks!
You're welcome!

I only printed "floating" objects after exporting format... and that was fine; it basically printed the object alone, without heeding the space between the workplane. Not sure if printing directly will make a difference. As for spaces between portions of the object (ex. extra floating objects) I believe it can still print, but may have printed portions between the parts. In regards to that latter section I discussed, I only saw it happen once as I was recommended to print such parts separately if needed. And I'd recommend others do the same. Overall though, spaces shouldn't be too big of a worry if the objects are exported :) the 3D printing program can generally take care of that

Likes fog37
Thank you. So it should not make a difference if the TC design is floating about the workplane. Saving the floating design as STL and pass it to the slicing software, then to the 3D printer is not an issue.

As far as the object "crossing"/intersecting the workplane, I meant, for example, a sphere that is half above the workplane and half below the workplane and wondered if, after saving that design as STL, etc. the 3D printer would only print the the top portion of the object...

What do you mean when you say "printing directly"? Directly from TC? Is that possible? TC is not a slicer...

fog37 said:
Thank you. So it should not make a difference if the TC design is floating about the workplane. Saving the floating design as STL and pass it to the slicing software, then to the 3D printer is not an issue.

As far as the object "crossing"/intersecting the workplane, I meant, for example, a sphere that is half above the workplane and half below the workplane and wondered if, after saving that design as STL, etc. the 3D printer would only print the the top portion of the object...

What do you mean when you say "printing directly"? Directly from TC? Is that possible? TC is not a slicer...
I converted 3D models to .X or .OBJ format. I meant "directly" as in creating it from a 3D printing program (which I have never done but apparently exists. Seems like the models created there won't be complicated as those created in traditional modeling programs)

And I'd recommend testing those intersecting objects...I have no experience with them either. Good luck!

1. What is Tinkercad Digital Object and how does it work?

Tinkercad Digital Object is an online 3D design and printing platform that allows users to create and customize 3D models. It uses a simple drag-and-drop interface and basic geometric shapes to create designs, which can then be exported for 3D printing.

2. What types of objects can be created using Tinkercad Digital Object?

Tinkercad Digital Object can be used to create a variety of objects, including toys, prototypes, household items, and more. Users can also import their own designs or use pre-made templates to create more complex objects.

3. How accurate are the 3D prints created from Tinkercad Digital Object designs?

The accuracy of 3D prints from Tinkercad Digital Object designs depends on the quality of the 3D printer being used. However, Tinkercad Digital Object allows for precise measurements and adjustments, resulting in high-quality prints.

4. Can Tinkercad Digital Object be used for professional purposes?

While Tinkercad Digital Object is primarily used for educational and personal purposes, it can also be used for professional projects. Many businesses and industries use 3D printing for prototyping and production, and Tinkercad Digital Object can be a useful tool for creating designs for these purposes.

5. Is Tinkercad Digital Object suitable for beginners?

Yes, Tinkercad Digital Object is a user-friendly platform that is suitable for beginners. Its simple interface and tutorials make it easy for anyone to learn how to use the program and create 3D designs.