Tired of research what is next?

• Thread starter SKWphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary: Not very sure why it is relevant. But I am doing Astronomy/Astrophysics/Cosmology and I would call myself a mix of theoretical + computational...
SKWphysicist
Hi All,

I am wondering for those still pursuing their careers in academic research, have you ever feel tired of your own research at some points in your career? I finished my PhD about 2 yrs ago and got a postdoc position since then. However during my postdoc years I found that doing my research is quite boring. I am not sure whether I just got tired and need some refreshments (new area of research) or I should quit doing research all together. Have anyone experienced that?

Physics news on Phys.org
While I still think it's interesting, my postdoc made me realize I don't want to do just research. I'm starting a faculty job in the fall, and I'm hoping that, like it was in grad school, I'll be more interested in working on my research when it's what I do in my free time, not all the time. If that's not the case, maybe industry is the next step to take, which while maybe still being research, would probably be a new topic altogether.

Once you have finally hit your education goal, it is time to relax, and take stock of what you have achieved, and what you want to do next. Incidentally, this is one reason why Universities encourage sabbatical years so that a professor's creativity doesn't get stale doing the same damned things year-in, year-out.

Try branching out into other studies. Perhaps your research could be useful in industry. Maybe you prefer the teaching side of the profession: try taking your specialty out of the university to teach others how to improve ____(insert your profession here)___.

There are lots of opportunities. Not all of them have to come from the university or from some institute.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. Actually I am seriously considering doing something else (pure teaching post or medical physics). The dilemma is once I switch it is very difficult to get back into the research track. So I am just wondering if others have a similar experience.

I have exactly the same feelings. I am currently working as a research scientist (after my PhD). I am considering changing to be a medical physicist, facing the same dilemma that it is very difficult to get back into the research track.

SKWphysicist said:
Thanks for the replies. Actually I am seriously considering doing something else (pure teaching post or medical physics). The dilemma is once I switch it is very difficult to get back into the research track. So I am just wondering if others have a similar experience.

Maybe you could find a position where your primary duty is to teach, but are allowed by the institution to have the choice of allocating some time to research? Maybe something in-between a community college and a pure (or mostly pure) research university?

I know from speaking to one lecturer at my university that she had a certain kind of leave that could be used for this sort of thing, even though her primary work duty was lecturing and things related to that activity (like coordinating courses and so on).

Wow I never thought I would see this again. I thought this type of thing was supposed to be about passion? Does it go astray.

Two questions for people who are getting tired of research.

1) What type of research are you doing?
2) Are you a theroetical physicist?

Nano-Passion said:
Wow I never thought I would see this again. I thought this type of thing was supposed to be about passion? Does it go astray.

I believe this phenomenon is called 'fatigue'.

chiro said:
Maybe you could find a position where your primary duty is to teach, but are allowed by the institution to have the choice of allocating some time to research? Maybe something in-between a community college and a pure (or mostly pure) research university?

I know from speaking to one lecturer at my university that she had a certain kind of leave that could be used for this sort of thing, even though her primary work duty was lecturing and things related to that activity (like coordinating courses and so on).

Thanks for the advice. It is another thing what I am trying to do. I had few teaching experience in the past and I found myself quite enjoying that.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I believe this phenomenon is called 'fatigue'.

Nano-Passion said:

Not very sure why it is relevant. But I am doing Astronomy/Astrophysics/Cosmology and I would call myself a mix of theoretical + computational physics.

Same as SKWphysicist - PhD in physics, working in astrophysics/cosmology, did a observational/computational dissertation and doing a theoretical postdoc. Lots of papers (mostly co-author), but feeling pretty burned out on my research right now. I'm hoping that will improve when I do it in my 'free time' instead of all the time.

SKWphysicist said:
Not very sure why it is relevant. But I am doing Astronomy/Astrophysics/Cosmology and I would call myself a mix of theoretical + computational physics.

Just curious, thanks btw.

eri said:
Same as SKWphysicist - PhD in physics, working in astrophysics/cosmology, did a observational/computational dissertation and doing a theoretical postdoc. Lots of papers (mostly co-author), but feeling pretty burned out on my research right now. I'm hoping that will improve when I do it in my 'free time' instead of all the time.

I don't want to derail the topic so I'll leave it here. Thanks and good luck. ^.^

1. What career options are available for scientists who are tired of research?

There are many career options available for scientists who are looking to leave research. Some options include science writing, science communication, consulting, teaching, and industry positions in fields related to your research. It's important to explore your interests and skills to find the best fit for your next career move.

2. How can I transition from research to a non-research career?

Transitioning from research to a non-research career can be challenging but not impossible. Start by networking and connecting with professionals in your desired field, updating your resume to highlight transferable skills, and gaining experience through internships or volunteering. It's also helpful to research the job market and understand the qualifications and requirements for your desired career.

3. Will leaving research hurt my chances of getting a job in the future?

Leaving research may not necessarily hurt your chances of getting a job in the future. Employers value a diverse range of experiences and skills, so if you can demonstrate how your research experience has prepared you for your desired career, it can actually make you a stronger candidate. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from research can be transferable to many other industries.

4. How can I stay involved in the scientific community if I leave research?

There are many ways to stay involved in the scientific community even if you leave research. You can attend conferences and seminars, join professional organizations, mentor students, or volunteer for science outreach programs. Additionally, you can stay up-to-date with current research by reading scientific articles and publications.

5. What resources are available to help me transition out of research?

There are many resources available to help scientists transition out of research. These include career counseling services, online job search engines, networking events, and workshops specifically geared towards transitioning out of research. It's also beneficial to reach out to your professional network, colleagues, and mentors for advice and guidance.