1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Title When Working in Graduate Studies

1. Mar 31, 2015 #1
    Hello all,

I have a question regarding professional title when working in graduate school. Upon graduating I will be registered as an Engineer-in-Training with the legislative body responsible for governing engineers in my location. 1 year of my graduate studies is suitable for work experience.
    I am a little confused as to what my title would be in this instance.

For example,
    Research Engineer
    Engineer-in-Training

or

Microwave Engineer
    Engineer-in-Training

or

Graduate Student
    Engineer-in-Training

or do I even have a title?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2015 #2
    You're an engineering graduate student :)

4. Mar 31, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are co-writing a paper with a professor, your name/title is "Et Al".

5. Apr 3, 2015 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

Any above would apply, its all how you want to label yourself. That being said, if you say you're a working on a degree, i would say you are a student.

6. Apr 3, 2015 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Read carefully that body's rules on the circumstances in which people are permitted to describe themselves as an "Engineer" or "Engineer-in-Training", because it may be that you are not allowed to use either of those descriptions yet.

You should use whatever job title the people you are working for tell you to use.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook