To adblock or not to adblock that is the question

  • Thread starter Thread starter cpscdave
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 6K views
I don't believe in indiscriminate ad blocking, because it's really bad for content providers.

I do, however, block any ad that plays sound automatically or streams video. With sound, it's because there's nothing more irritating than when I'm trying to listen to music and have to hunt down the tab playing the ad that's so loud I have to take my headphones off. It's especially worrying because I use hi-fi headphones and I don't want to risk blowing them out. With video ads, it's because they slow down my connection on wifi and suck up my data on mobile.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I personally white list PF, There isn't an intrusive ad on the site.This definitely isn't the case with most sites though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
If a product is needed, people will search for it and talk about it regardless of advertising. If a product needs iterative advertisement, it's non essential, or the company has enough money already. In both cases it doesn't deserve my money or attention. Sucks for good content creators out there who rely on these ad revenues, but I simply don't care as I don't like to be forced into watching things. I pay for most decent products I use or just find worthy of funding like Khan Academy or Wikipedia, etc.. In my opinion money better spent than paying overpriced drinks to get hammered. But I digress.

I feel obligated to mention these two legendary stand up comedians taking a dump on advertising:
Bill Hicks (2.45)
George Carlin (2.32)
 
Last edited:
TheBlackAdder said:
If a product is needed, people will search for it and talk about it regardless of advertising

That is still word of mouth marketing. If people did it more often PF would not need to advertise.

TheBlackAdder said:
If a product needs iterative advertisement, it's non essential

You only do essential things? Eat, breathe, sleep, repeat? :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ulianjay and 1oldman2
Greg Bernhardt said:
That is still word of mouth marketing. If people did it more often PF would not need to advertise.

If people were less brainwashed by tv and ads, they would make time to educate themselves and inevitably find his forum.
Word of mouth is not necessarily marketing. It's proof of a hype (marketing) or just a genuine good product.
Also, widespread access to education is rising up (MOOCS, etc.) so I see a bright future for PF.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You only do essential things? Eat, breathe, sleep, repeat? :smile:

I just don't like advertisement telling me how awesome the new acid reflux laxative liver damaging drugs are. Or how cool it is to drink responsibly. If I like a product enough, I'll pay for the ads to go away. I'm even significantly more inclined to pay for an app or website which deliberately doesn't use advertising. PF was an exception to my rule actually.
 
While I will always use ad blockers because of ad-server sourced malware, an added benefit is the improved page load time and fewer outright hangs when there are no ads.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CynicusRex