To heat treat or not to heat treat

• Thread starter engineer23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of h13 tools in a tool wear study for FSW (Friction Stir Welding). The speaker is considering using the tools without heat treatment to observe more wear, but is unsure if there will be adverse consequences. They have not worked with FSW before and are not familiar with the process. The other person suggests that the tool temperature may be too high for heat treatment to be effective and asks if any post work inspections have been done on the microstructure of used tools. The speaker agrees and plans to use the h13 tools as-is without heat treatment, citing previous successful use of softer steel tools. They are primarily interested in observing wear and plan to conduct SEM analysis on the tools post-weld
engineer23
I am doing a tool wear study using tools fabricated from h13. I'm considering using them without heat treatment in the hopes that I will be able to observe more wear. Is this a good idea or are there adverse consequences to using tools of this material which are not heat treated?

I'm using these tools in FSW (Friction Stir Welding). If you are not familiar with the process, here's a link to the wiki which gives a good overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_stir_welding

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have never worked with FSW and I don't play one on TV either.

I would think that the tool temperature is going to be high enough that any kind of heat treat you have will be eventually lost. Have you done any post work inspections on the microstructure of a used tool?

I tend to agree with you on that point. I think I'm going to just use them as-is without heat treatment. We've used tools made of softer steels before with no problem, so I imagine that untreated h13 would be comparable to those in properties. I'm just looking for wear and not really interested in the quality of the welds. I'm actually planning on doing SEM analysis of the tools post-weld for these experiments...Hopefully I will find something interesting!

1. Should I always heat treat my materials?

It depends on the type of material and its intended use. Heat treating can improve the strength, hardness, and durability of certain materials, but it is not always necessary. It is important to consult with an expert to determine if heat treatment is necessary for your specific material.

2. What types of materials can be heat treated?

Many types of metals can be heat treated, including steel, aluminum, copper, and titanium. Heat treatment can also be used on some non-metallic materials, such as ceramics and polymers.

3. What are the different types of heat treatment?

There are several different types of heat treatment, including annealing, tempering, quenching, and case hardening. Each type has its own specific purpose and can produce different results in the material.

4. What are the benefits of heat treatment?

Heat treatment can improve the mechanical properties of a material, making it stronger, more durable, and more resistant to wear and tear. It can also improve the material's machinability and dimensional stability.

5. Are there any risks or drawbacks to heat treatment?

While heat treatment can provide numerous benefits, it can also have some drawbacks. Overheating or improper heat treatment can lead to warping, cracking, or distortion of the material. It is important to carefully monitor the heat treatment process to avoid these issues.