"To the power of" (powers in division have to be subtracted)

  • Thread starter Thread starter chriscarson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Division Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
55 replies · 6K views
chriscarson
Messages
197
Reaction score
26
Homework Statement
can t figure out how to do this with out a calculator
Relevant Equations
powers in division have to be subtracted
Our teacher said that powers in division have to be subtracted when the same base , but still , I am not getting the right answer.
106507736_895349104293122_1419857438884051582_n.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well you have a big mistake here it is not ##10\times 10^6=100^6## it is rather ##10\times 10^6=10^7##. To see this write ##10^6## as ##10\times10\times10\times10\times10\times10##. Generally it is ##10^m\times10^n=10^{m+n}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
One problem is that:

##10 \times 10^6 \ne 100^6##

Why not try doing the problem in longhand and check each step?

You start with ##\frac{10 \times 10^6}{10^5}## on one side of the page and ##\frac{10 \times 1,000,000}{100,000}## on the other side of the page.

Work through it both ways to see what is going on at each step.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
Delta2 said:
well you have a big mistake here it is not ##10\times 10^6=100^6## it is rather ##10\times 10^6=10^7##. To see this write ##10^6## as ##10\times10\times10\times10\times10\times10##. Generally it is ##10^m\times10^n=10^{m+n}##

yeah that s true , I knew how 10 s you have to make but I asked if there is a short way to do by memory
 
The rules of precedence (PEMDAS or BEDMAS) call for exponentiation to be performed before multiplication or division. So it is interpreted as$$10 \times (10^6)$$ rather than as $$(10 \times 10)^6$$.

PEMDAS = Parentheses, Exponentiation, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction
BEDMAS = Brackets, Exponentiation, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
PeroK said:
One problem is that:

##10 \times 10^6 \ne 100^6##

Why not try doing the problem in longhand and check each step?

You start with ##\frac{10 \times 10^6}{10^5}## on one side of the page and ##\frac{10 \times 1,000,000}{100,000}## on the other side of the page.

Work through it both ways to see what is going on at each step.

this is shorter though , but still you need to make a big sum , but it s better for sure
 
jbriggs444 said:
The rules of precedence (PEMDAS or BEDMAS) call for exponentiation to be performed before multiplication or division. So it is interpreted as$$10 \times (10^6)$$ rather than as $$(10 \times 10)^6$$.

PEMDAS = Parentheses, Exponentiation, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction
BEDMAS = Brackets, Exponentiation, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction.

Yes not because I remembered that but the multiplication I was doing first .
 
now I remember something like this
105598305_1409660259242980_1485819579724760932_n.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
chriscarson said:
yeah that s true , I knew how 10 s you have to make but I asked if there is a short way to do by memory
the short way is that ##10^m\times 10^n=10^{m+n}## Just apply this for ##m=1,n=6##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
Delta2 said:
the short way is that ##10^m\times 10^n=10^{m+n}## Just apply this for ##m=1,n=6##.

so when there is no power the power is 1 ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444
oh that s what I didn t know ,
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
chriscarson said:
this is shorter though , but still you need to make a big sum , but it s better for sure
"make a big sum"? No. I think you may be doing something wrong.
6+1=7 gives ##10 * 10^6 = 10^7##. Then 7-5=2 gives ##\frac {10^7} {10^5} = 10^2 = 100##. So you should never have to deal with any "big sum".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
FactChecker said:
"make a big sum"? No. I think you may be doing something wrong.
6+1=7 gives ##10 * 10^6 = 10^7##. Then 7-5=2 gives ##\frac {10^7} {10^5} = 10^2 = 100##. So you should never have to deal with any "big sum".

oh that s what exactly I was looking for , thanks the others helped me too in a way to understand what this means.

so easy for you with a high IQ :oldsmile:
 
chriscarson said:
oh that s what I didn t know ,
##10^0 = 1## is the tricky one. That's the one you have to remember!

The other way to look at this is:
$$10 \times 10^6 = 10 \times (10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10) = 10^7$$
And:
$$\frac{10^7}{10^5} = \frac{10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10}{ 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10} = 10 \times 10 = 10^2$$
In the main step, we are cancelling five 10's on the bottom with five 10's on the top. That's where the "subtraction" rule comes from: ##7 - 5 = 2##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
PeroK said:
##10^0 = 1## is the tricky one. That's the one you have to remember!

The other way to look at this is:
$$10 \times 10^6 = 10 \times (10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10) = 10^7$$
And:
$$\frac{10^7}{10^5} = \frac{10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10}{ 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10 \times 10} = 10 \times 10 = 10^2$$
In the main step, we are cancelling five 10's on the bottom with five 10's on the top. That's where the "subtraction" rule comes from: ##7 - 5 = 2##.

and also it confused me that 10 when is in the power of 2 for example , the 0 with the 1 in the value of 10 is one of the two zeros you need to have , I thought you had to add another two zeros .
 
chriscarson said:
and also it confused me that 10 when is in the power of 2 for example , the 0 with the 1 in the value of 10 is one of the two zeros you need to have , I thought you had to add another two zeros .

##10^2 = 10 \times 10 = 100##. In the same way that ##9^2 = 9 \times 9 = 81##.

Saying ##10^n## is a "one followed by ##n## zeroes" is true, but that's not the underlying rule.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
etotheipi said:
These might be useful

https://mathinsight.org/exponentiation_basic_rules
https://www.uea.ac.uk/documents/6207125/8183824/steps+into+numeracy+powers+of+10+and+standard+form.pdf

oh thanks , I notice that many of them they have same bases that s what was like to search in youtube was. and then I have all sort of them with -, decimals etc like this
106089067_717410508825549_4706151525018830391_n.png
 
PeroK said:
##10^2 = 10 \times 10 = 100##. In the same way that ##9^2 = 9 \times 9 = 81##.

Saying ##10^n## is a "one followed by ##n## zeroes" is true, but that's not the underlying rule.

I followed the rule of the decimal where is it and I thought in that case of 10 is behind the zero than add 2 spaces

so when is 10 ,20, 30 . etc is different
 
PeroK said:
##10^2 = 10 \times 10 = 100##. In the same way that ##9^2 = 9 \times 9 = 81##.

Saying ##10^n## is a "one followed by ##n## zeroes" is true, but that's not the underlying rule.

so I had a bit of a good reason
 
chriscarson said:
View attachment 265329

for example now it doesn t work for me 7 - 9
What do you mean it doesn't work for you, you haven't been introduced to negative numbers? or you don't know that ##10^{-n}=\frac{1}{10^n}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
chriscarson said:
so I had a bit of a good reason
Yes, but just be careful not to write ##9^2 = 99##. That's the thing to avoid.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson
chriscarson said:
View attachment 265329

for example now it doesn t work for me 7 - 9
This is the same, except the number on the denominator is bigger. So, you get:
$$\frac{10^7}{10^9} = 10^{-2} = \frac{1}{10^2} = \frac 1 {100}$$
Note that the last three expressions all mean exactly the same thing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson and Delta2
PeroK said:
This is the same, except the number on the denominator is bigger. So, you get:
$$\frac{10^7}{10^9} = 10^{-2} = \frac{1}{10^2} = \frac 1 {100}$$
Note that the last three expressions all mean exactly the same thing.

that s a good explanation , I have to remember it now. Thanks
 
Delta2 said:
What do you mean it doesn't work for you, you haven't been introduced to negative numbers? or you don't know that ##10^{-n}=\frac{1}{10^n}##

I was introduced but was nt sure were they can be used or sometimes forget the mechanisim.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
PeroK said:
Yes, but just be careful not to write ##9^2 = 99##. That's the thing to avoid.

ok, at least I am sure that 9 to the power of 2 is 9x9.
 
chriscarson said:
that s a good explanation , I have to remember it now. Thanks

You could also note that it's consistent with the properties you already know. ##x^n x^{-n} = x^{n-n} = x^0 = 1##, so divide through by ##x^n## and you see ##x^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}##.

But N.B. AFAIK ##x^0 := 1## and ##x^{-n} := \frac{1}{x^n}## are definitions, and the exponent laws can be proven by induction. So the first sentence is deriving it backwards :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chriscarson and Delta2