"To the power of" (powers in division have to be subtracted)

In summary, our teacher said that powers in division have to be subtracted when the same base, but still I am not getting the right answer. Well, you have a big mistake here it is not 10 times 10^6=100^6, it is rather 10 times 10^6=10^7. To see this, write 10^6 as 10^x. Generally, it is 10^m\times10^n=10^{m+n}. One problem is that 10^6 does not equal 100^6.
Delta2 said:
It is important to notice that the equation $$10^n\cdot 10^m=10^{n+m}$$ holds even when m and n are negative numbers (or when one of n, m is negative and the other positive). For example $$\frac{10^3}{10^5}=10^3\cdot 10^{-5}=10^{3+(-5)}=10^{-2}=\frac{1}{10^2}$$

ok so it comes to play the knowledge about the order operations or bidmas then

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Plus there is a natural correspondence between the naming system and the standard form, e.g. two nonillion, nine hundred and eleven decillionths?

Also

wow this hurts your mind lol , was minecraft world a joke outside in the universe?

chriscarson said:
wow this hurts your mind lol , was minecraft world a joke outside in the universe?

LOL, I hadn't noticed that part. It's been a very long time since I last played that :wink:. Apparently it's something like 64,000 km wide and contains about 130 quadrillion blocks...

By the way this is the original, an interactive version.

Likes chriscarson
etotheipi said:
LOL, I hadn't noticed that part. It's been a very long time since I last played that :wink:. Apparently it's something like 64,000 km wide and contains about 130 quadrillion blocks...

By the way this is the original, an interactive version.

this is better you can stare to minecraft world lol

chriscarson said:
ok so it comes to play the knowledge about the order operations or bidmas then
Yes ofcourse, order of operations is important in order to correctly interpret the algebra, for example when i write $$10^3\cdot 10^{-5}$$ I mean $$(10^3)\cdot(10^{-5})$$ and not $$((10^3)\cdot 10)^{-5}$$. Exponentiation (whether it is to a positive or negative exponent, this doesn't matter) has bigger priority than multiplication/division or addition/subtraction. The order of operations is not always the same with the order we read from left to right.

Likes chriscarson
Delta2 said:
Yes ofcourse, order of operations is important in order to correctly interpret the algebra, for example when i write $$10^3\cdot 10^{-5}$$ I mean $$(10^3)\cdot(10^{-5})$$ and not $$((10^3)\cdot 10)^{-5}$$. Exponentiation (whether it is to a positive or negative exponent, this doesn't matter) has bigger priority than multiplication/division or addition/subtraction. The order of operations is not always the same with the order we read from left to right.

exactly as BIDMAS say and call them indices

chriscarson said:
exactly as BIDMAS say and call them indices
Yes ok I guess you can call exponents indices but usually I call indices the "lower" indices for example when i write $$a_1^2+x=0$$ the 1 is the lower index (or just index) and is used to denote the specific variable ##a_1##, while 2 is the upper index or the exponent and it corresponds to the mathematical operation "to the power of". It is $$a_1^2=(a_1)\cdot (a_1)$$

Likes chriscarson
Delta2 said:
Yes ok I guess you can call exponents indices but usually I call indices the "lower" indices for example when i write $$a_1^2+x=0$$ the 1 is the lower index (or just index) and is used to denote the specific variable ##a_1##, while 2 is the upper index or the exponent and it corresponds to the mathematical operation "to the power of".

I see ,so they get more complicated with the lower indices.

Likes Delta2
I met something else I can t solve because something new , I mean every step is something new ,the answer have to be 3 to the power of 4
105937266_571924590160662_652401625984236023_n.jpg

chriscarson said:
I met something else I can t solve because something new , I mean every step is something new ,the answer have to be 3 to the power of 4View attachment 265362
The first step is not right. What is ##9 \times 3^2## equal to?

And, big hint here, what is ##3 \times 27## equal to?

Likes chriscarson and Delta2
PeroK said:

PeroK said:

3x3 is 9 and 9x9 is 81

chriscarson said:
3x3 is 9 and 9x9 is 81
Yes. And ##3 \times 27##?

PeroK said:
Yes. And ##3 \times 27##?

also 81

chriscarson said:
also 81
Does that help?

PeroK said:
Does that help?

81 to the power of 3 divided by 81 to the power of 2 for me is 81 to the power of 1 , the answer is 3 to the power of 4

chriscarson said:
81 to the power of 3 divided by 81 to the power of 2 for me is 81 to the power of 1 , the answer is 3 to the power of 4
What's the difference between ##81## and ##3^4##?

Likes chriscarson
PeroK said:
What's the difference between ##81## and ##3^4##?

nothing but I understand it now that you asked it .so you have to dissolve indices and then create it again for the answer? what about when they have different bases like 642 diveded by 163 ? my result was 4-1

Last edited:
chriscarson said:
nothing but I understand it now that you asked it .so you have to dissolve indices and then create it again for the answer? what about when they have different bases like 642 diveded by 163 ? my result was 4-1
An answer of ##81## is just as good as an answer of ##3^4##.

Likes chriscarson
PeroK said:
An answer of ##81## is just as good as an answer of ##3^4##.

ok thanks

chriscarson said:
what about when they have different bases like 642 diveded by 163 ? my result was 4-1
No.
$$\frac {64^2}{16^3} = \frac {4^2 16^2}{16^3} \ne \frac 1 4$$

It would be good for you to learn and memorize the basic properties of exponents such as
##(ab)^n = a^nb^n##
##a^ma^n = a^{m + n}##
##\frac {a^m}{a^n} = a^{m - n}##
There are a few more.

Likes chriscarson and Delta2
Mark44 said:
No.
$$\frac {64^2}{16^3} = \frac {4^2 16^2}{16^3} \ne \frac 1 4$$

It would be good for you to learn and memorize the basic properties of exponents such as
##(ab)^n = a^nb^n##
##a^ma^n = a^{m + n}##
##\frac {a^m}{a^n} = a^{m - n}##
There are a few more.

https://www.matesfacil.com/english/secondary/solved-exercises-powers.htmlAfter all this time it sow that I found something with numbers and not letters to understand more . In the bottom link . Thanks I will get help with yours too.