Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To what value do these series converge?

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    Consider these series:
    sin(n)/n; and
    cos(n)/n.
    To what value do they converge? You can use Diriclet's test to show that they do converge, but to what? I think I should use a Fourier trigonometric series, but not certain how.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2
    Without ado, the answer must be "zero", because sin(n) and cos(n) can only have values between -1 to +1, while n tends to infinity.

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    I meant series, not sequence. With summation n = 1 to infinity. Sorry for any confusion.

5. Oct 16, 2009 #4
    Note: I'm not sure if this actually works, but it's an idea.

[tex]\sum[/tex] cos kx = -.5 + (.5sin[(2n +1)x/2)] )/sin x/2

So, if you integrate the sum, from 0 to 1, you should get

[tex]\sum[/tex] (sin k)/k , which is the sum you want, so integrate the other side from 0 to 1.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the idea. Im having a hard time to find a way to integrate that expression. Meantime I was able to calculate the series sin(n)/n by differentiating the fouries cosine series cos(nx)/n^2 and substituting 1. It equates to pi/2-1
    /2. Im still stuck trying to evaluate cos(n)/n however.

7. Oct 17, 2009 #6
    First evaluate [itex] \sum z^n/n[/itex] then substitute in that to evaluate [itex] \sum e^{int}/n[/itex], then take real and imaginary parts to get [itex] \sum \cos(nt)/n[/itex] and [itex] \sum \sin(nt)/n[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook