Too close to maximum deflection or not too close to maximum deflection

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating uniform and point loads on simple beams and the corresponding beam deflections using ETLs. The question is raised about the accuracy of the calculated deflection and whether it is too close to the maximum deflection. The response reassures that it is acceptable and that safety factors are taken into consideration. An example is given about a frame manufacturer testing the deflection of a frame with different stages of construction. The conclusion is that the deflection will decrease as more components are added.
yohnson

Homework Statement

Calculating uniform and sometimes point loads on simple beams and the calculated beam deflections using ETLs (estimated tabular loads).

My question in simply if I have found a deflection that is .005" less than the given maximum deflection, is it so close that if I don't recalculate, will my professor think that I'm some kind of an engineering maverick/loose cannon? I'm not kidding, I seriously just don't want to be too close for comfort, and I don't know yet how close structural engineers like to get.

Homework Equations

ETL = [(M)(8)] / L

deflection = [(5)(ETL)(L3) / [(384)(E)(I)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Deflection found. too close?

actual deflection = .660" maximum deflection = .6666"

Physics news on Phys.org
If that is the maximum great, don't worry it is just fine, safety factors are still there.

thanks, Lok!

Just to put a perspective: A frame manufacturer I know tested a bare frame and got pretty much the calculated deflection. Then the other frames adjacent were built, and connected with purlins etc. Same test on original frame got about two thirds of the original deflection. Finally all the sheet cladding was added. Tested again, the deflection was about one third of the calculated deflection.

pongo38,
That makes sense, I'm so glad. I turn in my final project tomorrow!
Thanks!

1. What is maximum deflection?

Maximum deflection refers to the maximum displacement or bending of a structure or material under an applied load. It is an important factor to consider in engineering and design as excessive deflection can lead to failure or damage.

2. How do you determine if a structure is too close to maximum deflection?

The determination of whether a structure is too close to maximum deflection depends on the specific design and materials being used. Engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to analyze the deflection of a structure and determine if it is within acceptable limits.

3. What happens if a structure is too close to maximum deflection?

If a structure is too close to maximum deflection, it can lead to failure or damage. Excessive deflection can cause the structure to deform or collapse, compromising its structural integrity and potentially putting people or property at risk.

4. How can maximum deflection be reduced?

Maximum deflection can be reduced through various design and engineering techniques. These may include using stronger materials, increasing the size or number of structural elements, or adding additional support or reinforcement to the structure.

5. Why is it important to consider maximum deflection in engineering and design?

Considering maximum deflection is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of structures. Excessive deflection can cause structural failure, leading to potential hazards and costly repairs. By carefully evaluating and monitoring deflection, engineers can ensure that structures are designed to withstand expected loads and maintain their structural integrity over time.