Too late to start a career in physics?

In summary, Jonathan is a 26-year-old single individual who holds an undergraduate degree in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. He is now interested in pursuing a career in Astrophysics, which is also a field that his family members are familiar with. He is wondering if it is too late for him to switch fields and if he would need to complete another undergraduate degree before enrolling in a graduate program. There is a discussion about the requirements for graduate programs in physics and the possibility of starting with a graduate program without an undergraduate degree in the field. Some advice is given, including considering a career in biophysics and seeking guidance from his family members who are physicists.
jmills11
Hi,

I am 26, single, and don't have any kids to worry about supporting yet. I got my undergrad in Biology (minor in Chemistry), instead of Physics, partially because it was a fairly expensive school (UCSB) and I wanted to make sure I graduated in 4 years, and partially because yeah, physics is hard. Anyways, I'm now realizing that this field isn't satisfying and am very interested in going into Astrophysics.

Practically my whole family are physicists (brother, father, aunt, uncle, and both grandfathers), and I am ready to dedicate myself wholeheartedly to Physics, but am wondering if it is too late. Would I have to do a whole second undergraduate degree before grad school? Or could I take some select courses before getting into a graduate program? If anyone has any words of advice or warnings to give I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Jonathan,

It's never too late to start learning anything, especially physics. You clearly have a background in science, and this will help you succeed in your study of physics. Considering that you also have family members who are, presumably, knowledgeable physicists, you will always have support in your efforts. It is up to you as to whether you want to go for an undergraduate degree or a graduate program, because it's likely they'll lead to different paths. Are you looking for a PhD or a Masters in Physics?

economy said:
Hey Jonathan,

It's never too late to start learning anything, especially physics. You clearly have a background in science, and this will help you succeed in your study of physics. Considering that you also have family members who are, presumably, knowledgeable physicists, you will always have support in your efforts. It is up to you as to whether you want to go for an undergraduate degree or a graduate program, because it's likely they'll lead to different paths. Are you looking for a PhD or a Masters in Physics?
Thank you for your reply economy. I'm definitely looking at a PhD. In terms of undergrad vs grad, I was more just wondering if one needs an undergrad before starting the grad program, or if I could just jump into the grad program and catch up there.

Likes Choppy
jmills11 said:
Thank you for your reply economy. I'm definitely looking at a PhD. In terms of undergrad vs grad, I was more just wondering if one needs an undergrad before starting the grad program, or if I could just jump into the grad program and catch up there.
Generally, graduate programs demand a certain level of experience that can only be earned through an undergraduate degree, or work experience. Sometimes exceptions are granted, and this may be what you're looking for. If you can prove that you have sufficient knowledge in the subject, you might be accepted. Typically though you will need to complete the undergraduate program first. I'd say your best bet is to talk with people from the university and see if you can go straight into the graduate program. Which, by the way, is the best option if you're headed for a PhD!

Most graduate programs in physics are going to expect an undergraduate degree in physics or something closely related where you have covered several core subjects up to the upper year undergraduate level (E&M, quantum, mathematics to the level of Boas, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and if your looking at astro groups they'll likely expect some kind of computational methods/programming course and at least an introductory astrophysics course.) Departments will sometimes make exceptions on one or two of these (eg. you came from a small program and didn't have a chance to take any specific astro course). But none of these courses are typically covered in undergraduate biology, so you'll have to pick them up some other way - likely through a second undergraduate degree.

Being 26 isn't too late at all. It's just really a question of whether you want to re-orient your life towards this goal at this point.

It's probably also worth factoring into your decision that most people who pursue astrophysics end up doing something else career-wise. Even the very smart ones.

Likes Ben Espen
jmills11 said:
Hi,

I am 26, single, and don't have any kids to worry about supporting yet. I got my undergrad in Biology (minor in Chemistry), instead of Physics, partially because it was a fairly expensive school (UCSB) and I wanted to make sure I graduated in 4 years, and partially because yeah, physics is hard. Anyways, I'm now realizing that this field isn't satisfying and am very interested in going into Astrophysics.

Practically my whole family are physicists (brother, father, aunt, uncle, and both grandfathers), and I am ready to dedicate myself wholeheartedly to Physics, but am wondering if it is too late. Would I have to do a whole second undergraduate degree before grad school? Or could I take some select courses before getting into a graduate program? If anyone has any words of advice or warnings to give I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan

I have 3 questions for you:

1. Have you read this thread?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

2. Does it have to be "Astrophysics"? Considering that you started out in biology, surely you have SOME interest in it! Why not use your biology degree as a leverage and major in biophysics? There are plenty of opportunity (and from my non-scientific observation, more than astrophysics major) for a biophysicist, especially those who also specializes in using synchrotron x-rays to study various biological specimens.

3. You have family members who are physicists. Can't you ask these people who know you way better than we do?

Zz.

Likes Ben Espen

1. Is it too late to start a career in physics if I didn't major in it during undergrad?

No, it is never too late to start a career in physics. Many successful physicists come from diverse backgrounds and may have started their careers later in life. With dedication and hard work, you can still pursue a career in physics.

2. What if I don't have a strong background in math and science?

While a strong background in math and science can be helpful, it is not a requirement for pursuing a career in physics. With determination and a willingness to learn, you can develop these skills as you progress in your studies and career.

3. Are there any age limits for starting a career in physics?

No, there are no age limits for pursuing a career in physics. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills, you can start a career in physics at any age.

4. Do I need a PhD to have a successful career in physics?

While a PhD can open up more opportunities in the field of physics, it is not always necessary for a successful career. Many physicists with bachelor's or master's degrees have successful careers in various industries, including academia, research, and industry.

5. Can I switch to a career in physics if I already have a different job?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a career in physics even if you have a different job. Many universities and institutions offer programs for individuals with non-physics backgrounds to transition into the field. Additionally, there are also self-learning resources available for those who want to pursue physics as a career change.