Took my balance in my 401K program out of all stocks, bonds

In summary, Rhody is discussing the debt ceiling and how it is affecting the stock market. Borg is also discussing the debt ceiling and how it is affecting the stock market. Rhody and Borg are both staying put and not panic selling their stocks. However, Borg is worried about the possibility of a default.
rhody
Gold Member
I just took my balance in my 401K program out of all stocks, bonds, and corporate stock funds and put the into FIXED. I never thought I would see this day happen, but what I see (not happening) in Washington in addressing the debt limit gives me cause for concern.

IMHO, it is better to have my shares converted to cash and invested into a fixed income fund, than to risk another major nosedive (this time with no rebound on the other end) like we had a few years ago. Someone else who I know and respect did the same thing yesterday. Are any of you making similar moves with your retirement funds, or doing other things to protect your investments ?

Rhody... :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

My wife and I did the same thing a week ago for the same reason.

I'm nervous too, but staying put. I have a good 15 to 20 years to go before I will start pulling money out of my retirement accounts...sigh :frown:.

Borg said:
My wife and I did the same thing a week ago for the same reason.
Borg,

The total is up to three now here at work and will report if the numbers climb in the next two weeks. Three in one day, including myself is significant. Some people are clueless and will panic if the stock takes a big nose dive. People I care about have been warned, in the end their decision's not to dump the stock will prove wise or foolish, let's see how this all plays out.

Rhody...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/21/gergen.no.way.debt/"
Several days ago, I would have put the odds on option (b) at better than 50-50; today, sadly, I reckon the odds are less than 50-50. In other words, the prospects point increasingly toward a default. Let us hope that is not the case. No one can be sure of the near-term financial consequences, especially if Congress then acted quickly to reverse itself, as it did over the Bush bailout in 2008. But a default, however short, will definitely fuel a growing perception in the world of America in decline.
Not coming a reasonable compromise because of extreme entrenched positions... on both sides is what has me most concerned... I can't say it more simply or clearly than that...

Rhody... :frown:

rhody said:
Borg,

The total is up to three now here at work and will report if the numbers climb in the next two weeks. Three in one day, including myself is significant. Some people are clueless and will panic if the stock takes a big nose dive. People I care about have been warned, in the end their decision's not to dump the stock will prove wise or foolish, let's see how this all plays out.

Rhody...
My wife and I got burned on the last one in October 2008. We were on a cruise in the Med and couldn't do anything other than watch the news. I thought about getting out before we left but didn't want to pay the taxes. The losses ended up being far worse than any taxes. :rolleyes:

We are going on vacation again next month and don't want to end up in the same 'boat' as last time. I understand that there's no correlation but, it seems like the market always drops when we go on vacation. Lately, the areas that we visit have also been hit by disasters within a few months after we leave.

I'm staying put, because I'm already well-diversified. If my mutual funds take another dive, oh, well. The IRA has bounced back sufficiently from the last loss to convince me that my allocations are good enough to withstand a major disruption.

lisab said:
I'm nervous too, but staying put. I have a good 15 to 20 years to go before I will start pulling money out of my retirement accounts...sigh :frown:.
I have a while to go for retirement also. We're just moving the money to safer funds in the retirement accounts. And, I didn't change the new contributions - they still go into S&P Index Funds.

We will eventually get back in but, for now, I don't want to be involved with the silliness that's going on in Washington.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/21/news/economy/Debt_ceiling_states/"
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Just the threat of a federal default is prompting California to get a $5 billion loan to make sure it can pay its obligations.

States around the nation are drawing up contingency plans in the event that federal policymakers don't resolve the debt ceiling impasse by Aug. 2. They are preparing for chaos in the municipal debt markets and delays in federal payments for Medicaid, education and other services, which could happen if the federal government defaults on its obligations.

California, for instance, planned to sell $5 billion in revenue-anticipation notes in the bond market in late August. Now, Treasurer Bill Lockyer plans to get a bridge loan so the state can have cash on hand in case the markets are in turmoil and the state is unable to borrow. It would repay the bridge loan once it sells the notes.

Rhody...

P.S. Sadly, in our state this is off everyone's radar (radio talk shows usually lead the way), but so far have been fairly quiet, a few rumblings yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have gotten everyone's attention, yet...

I follow the stocks, but I don't invest in them. I just make mental bets. That way, if the stock goes down I don't lose any money, I just lose my mind.

As I could sense it coming, I forewarned colleagues roughly a year prior to the collapse of the .com’s and the Enron fiasco that occurred roughly 10 years ago and I suggested that they instead pay down the principles on their mortgages. Most scoffed, quickly declaring my suggestion a poor financial decision on my behalf, as they felt they could make a killing per their and the employer’s 401K contributions and various 401K investment options.

When the vast majority lost the better portions of their 401K investments a year later, they whined at work almost daily about how they had lost their shirts and now they wouldn’t be able to retire, but I hadn’t lost a cent, just as I had stated would be the case. In fact, I was steadily getting closer to paying off my mortgage, just as I had suggested to others. By 2006, after a total of just 8 years, my mortgage was paid off. I lost nothing and saved far more than I could have ever gained via any 401K especially during that volatile period.

Unlike my know-it-all colleagues, I didn’t scoff at their 401K investment decisions, as it was their choice to freely make. I simply realized the volatility associated with their choices and I’ve never agreed with the considerable penalties of withdrawing your own financial contributions. In any case, many afterward stated that they wished they had followed my suggestion rather than having simply outright lost everything as they had, but of course, such is a meaningless wish. Such is the nature of hindsight.

Speaking from experience; through these difficult economic times, it’s a delight not having a monthly mortgage payment. Even low paying job positions allow for a comfortable lifestyle when there’s no monthly mortgage to pay. Naturally, I don’t expect anyone to alter their existing plans based upon my success story. I merely offer as much for those who are perhaps considering doing the same. I have no regrets whatsoever, as it’s nice to own my home free and clear.

I offer one last thought…

The United States has never been in worse shape than it is at this point in time and it hasn’t gotten any better for the 20 million Americans unemployed for several years now, no fault of their own. The jobs simple aren’t there. 20 million people didn’t simply ban together to quit their jobs, for if they had, there’d be roughly 20 million job vacancies, but clearly there isn’t. These are the least of all times to trust ANY financial institution with the handling of one’s finances and/or investments, financial institutions that the taxpayers bailed out, only to have these money grubby parasites foreclose on millions of taxpayer mortgages, as though possessing no sense whatsoever of good conscience…

When people think the worst of the market, it makes a bull run.

I'm not too money savvy but this bothers me.
gold_all_data_o_usd.png

dlgoff said:
I'm not too money savvy but this bothers me.
gold_all_data_o_usd.png

I'm not too savvy either, Don, but I smell a bubble.

lisab said:
I'm not too savvy either, Don, but I smell a bubble.
Almost every day, there is a full-page ad in the newspaper advertising that some "road-show" outfit (certainly not affiliated with the PBS show!) will be camped out in a local motel room and will pay "top prices" for your gold. During the 1979-80 gold blip, a picker that I know did the same thing. He dumped the gold at market price every single day, because he knew that it wasn't going to last, and he didn't want to be left holding a lot of gold when the crash came.

If gold/ commodities drop, where does the money go? Bonds, stocks, and mutual funds.

khemist said:
When people think the worst of the market, it makes a bull run.

Nice platitude, but I don't know that it's useful here. There are *always* people that think the worst of the market. Sometimes, those people are right, sometimes those people are wrong. The market cares little of what people on the internet think about it.

khemist said:
If gold/ commodities drop, where does the money go? Bonds, stocks, and mutual funds.
Gold prices are quite volatile, and it is not a good idea to "invest" in gold. If for some reason you have a lot of gold around, now would be a wonderful time to cash out.

Jack21222 said:
Nice platitude, but I don't know that it's useful here. There are *always* people that think the worst of the market. Sometimes, those people are right, sometimes those people are wrong. The market cares little of what people on the internet think about it.

True, but when people on the internet think the market is going to do something, it sometimes means that all the bad/ good news has been priced in already.

Once you get homeless men telling you to invest, its time to get out, and vise versa.

@turbo-1: I never said to invest in gold. I agree it is a stupid investment (unless you bought it at the right time, obviously). What I am saying is that if money leaves commodities where will that money go? It most certainly won't stay as cash...

khemist said:
True, but when people on the internet think the market is going to do something, it sometimes means that all the bad/ good news has been priced in already.

Are you comparing people on the internet, a set which basically includes everybody, to homeless people? It's as if you're saying "By the time it reaches the internet, it's gone as far as it can, that's the saturation point." That's the opposite of reality. The internet is usually the first stop, right after a person's brain. As soon as a person thinks it, it goes up on their blog, or a forum post.

khemist said:
Once you get homeless men telling you to invest, its time to get out, and vise versa.
Can someone help me with the vice versa part? When women with homes tell me to get out, it's time to invest?

Just leave a thread for a few hours, and boom, all kinds of personal opinion, lacking verifyable research creeps in. Can we present information/arguments, etc... based on a link and possibly a quote or two in this thread as I have tried to do with most of my posts. Then, you are free to intrepret and discuss it as you wish.

Rhody... :grumpy:

rhody said:
Just leave a thread for a few hours, and boom, all kinds of personal opinion, lacking verifyable research creeps in. Can we present information/arguments, etc... based on a link and possibly a quote or two in this thread as I have tried to do with most of my posts. Then, you are free to intrepret and discuss it as you wish.

Rhody... :grumpy:
No quotes, but all my IRA funds are rolled over from tax-advantaged 401Ks that I participated in over the years with several employers. If I liquidate those funds, the taxes will beat the hell out of me. I need to ride it out until I am of an age to start cashing out without the penalties that I would incur today.

turbo-1 said:
No quotes, but all my IRA funds are rolled over from tax-advantaged 401Ks that I participated in over the years with several employers. If I liquidate those funds, the taxes will beat the hell out of me. I need to ride it out until I am of an age to start cashing out without the penalties that I would incur today.
It wasn't any thing you said in this thread turbo...don't worry, be happy...

Rhody...

P.S. if you want to discuss what those laws are and how much (tax wise) they will beat the crap out of you, I would like to hear that for sure.

turbo-1 said:
You can sell stocks within an IRA without tax consequences. You only pay taxes when you take money out of the IRA.

Jimmy Snyder said:
You can sell stocks within an IRA without tax consequences. You only pay taxes when you take money out of the IRA.
Thanks. I should have contacted my adviser at Principal to clarify that. Still, I am liquid enough to ride out problems with the stock market. Maybe if the loons make us default, the Fed will have to start paying realistic interest rates and my MM funds will actually start earning interest again.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Most of what I sold last week fell into this category. Only a small part wasn't so our tax bill won't be that bad.

Borg said:
Most of what I sold last week fell into this category. Only a small part wasn't so our tax bill won't be that bad.
All of my IRA is in money-market accounts and every bit of it came from untaxed contributions to 401Ks, rolled over to the IRA. I don't mix after-tax money with before-tax money, to avoid tax complications.

turbo-1 said:
All of my IRA is in money-market accounts and every bit of it came from untaxed contributions to 401Ks, rolled over to the IRA. I don't mix after-tax money with before-tax money, to avoid tax complications.
All of my accounts are separate as well. In fact, I don't know how you could mix the money. As far as I know, you can't add after-tax money to a 401K or IRA. And a Roth has limits for how much you can contribute each year. But, as Jimmy said, as long as the money doesn't leave the account, you can allocate the money in the account however you want.

I got out today. I sold off all my old Enron shares, and the last of my remaining Tyco shares. Lehman Bros, Borders, Worldcom, and Global Crossing too. I hated to dump Conseco, but I wanted to make a clean slate of it.

i'm not really sure how gold would crash. seems like for that to happen, the dollar would have to go way up in value. but we all know that is not going to happen any time soon. and every time we borrow more money and run up the debt, the value of the dollar gets thinner and thinner.

Jim Rogers is a commodities guy, and he was recently saying he's sitting on the sidelines now and has a bunch of his wealth in euros. some dollars, but lots of euros.

Gold is a finite commodity and it WILL crash soon. If you have any substantial holdings, now would be a great time to bail out because it will soon be untenable, especially if you bought within the past year or so.

Well, let's let play out whatever events will, then return to this thread a few months or perhaps a few years from now, and see how many of us are doing face palm's. It will be interesting to see what my stock closes at 4 pm EST, when it is sold. Then, I can check back in months from now to see if I made a bad or good decision.

Rhody...

FYI. An update, a few more at work jumping on the bandwagon (100% out of stock) as well, and a few others who have taken some funds out of stock, but not all.

For your review: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/21/7136433-four-thoughts-on-the-debt-ceiling-fight"

Rhody...

If the US does default, how will this effect the market? Who will the government owe money to and how will they pay them back? I am guessing if they default they will not have to pay them back, but the strength of the dollar will not do so well.