Toolbar capabilty in dialog window?

• Thread starter sweetjones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary: Spector discusses adding printing capability in a MFC dialog window. He mentions trying to create a SDI with the CFormView Class, but not finding printing support that way. He then shares how he can create a System Menu and insert a "Print" menu item, but is unsure how to implement a toolbar in a Dialog window. Another person suggests drawing the toolbar themselves and shares a helpful link. Warren clarifies that he meant toolbars and expresses his need for a print function. He thanks the person for their help and for providing a good source for working around MFC features. The person suggests adding a print button to the dialog instead of a toolbar. Warren agrees and thanks them again for their help and reference. In summary, Warren discusses
sweetjones
I've searched this sight but to no avail. I am wondering how can i implement printing capabilty in my MFC dialog window. I've tried creating a SDI with the CFormView Class, but there is no printing support that way. If I try to make a Dialog-Based Application the "Standard Toolbar" option cannot be selected. However, through a Dialog-Based App I can create a System Menu and insert a "Print" menu item. But how can you implement a toolbar in a Dialog window? I'm using VC++ 2005.

Technology news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
Do you mean toolbar or menus?
It's not directly supported in MFC so you have to draw it yourself - here is a good place to start http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dialog/cdialogex.aspx

I meant toolbars. I am going to have to print something from an edit control so I'm going to need a print function. I want a system menu option, which I can figure out how to insert, and I want a toolbar, which I cannot figure out how to insert. I'll take a look at the link you provided. Thanx for your help!

codeproject is a good source for working around all the features of MFC.
You can of course always just add a print button to the dialog - there's no need for it to be a toolbar.

mgb_phys said:
codeproject is a good source for working around all the features of MFC.
You can of course always just add a print button to the dialog - there's no need for it to be a toolbar.

Great point! Thankx for the help and reference once again.

Honestly, you don't want to put a toolbar in a modal dialog anyway. It breaks all sorts of long-standing guidelines in effective human-computer interaction.

- Warren

1. What is a toolbar in a dialog window?

A toolbar in a dialog window is a graphical user interface element that contains a set of icons or buttons that provide quick access to commonly used functions or features of the dialog window.

2. How do I add a toolbar to a dialog window?

To add a toolbar to a dialog window, you will need to use a development framework or library that supports the creation of dialog windows with toolbars. You can also manually code the toolbar using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

3. Can I customize the toolbar in a dialog window?

Yes, most frameworks or libraries allow for customization of the toolbar in a dialog window. You can change the appearance, position, and functionality of the toolbar to suit your needs.

4. What are the benefits of having a toolbar in a dialog window?

A toolbar in a dialog window can improve the user experience by providing quick and easy access to commonly used functions. It can also save space and reduce clutter in the dialog window.

5. Are there any limitations to using a toolbar in a dialog window?

The limitations of using a toolbar in a dialog window may vary depending on the framework or library you are using. Some limitations may include compatibility issues with older browsers or limited customization options. It is best to consult the documentation of your chosen development tool for more information.