Topological Insulator : Edge states

In summary, the conversation discusses topological insulators and the Z_2 invariant TI, as well as the number of edge states in quantum spin hall effect (QSHE). The analogy is made to the integer quantum hall effect (IQHE) and the distinction between spin channels and chiral states is explained. It is mentioned that the number of edge states is not robust under disorder, but only the parity is.
hbaromega
I had been reading several articles on topological insulators (TI) including the Kane and Hasan's 2010 RMP. I am not very much clear about the Z_2 invariant TI. I mean, the even-odd argument proposed by Kane and Male (also argued by S. C. Zhang's group and Joel Moore's group in a different way). My question is

How can one get more than two edge states in quantum spin hall effect (QSHE)? Wouldn't it be only two edge states (one for spin up and the other for spin down)?

I'm asking by taking analogy from the integer quantum hall effect (IQHE) which seems to have only one chiral state in either of two edges of the 2D quantum hall system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I have just started studying this topic. Can you share your sources because I have a hard time find good resources on topological insulators.

In IQHE there are two edge states, one at each edge obviously. In this case there is no distinction between up and down spin.

Now in QSH insulators, the spins are also separated. On either edge there are two spin channels. In addition the spins are moving in opposite direction at each edge. So in total there are four channels or edge states as they may like to call.

Well, I am also new to this filed.

I was wondering if your confusing point is that since QHE is described by a band theory, then for every energy band you have 2 or 4 edge states. So depending on how many energy levels are filled, let say m, there could be 2m/4m edge states.

Hope this may help.

Last edited:
hbaromega said:
I'm asking by taking analogy from the integer quantum hall effect (IQHE) which seems to have only one chiral state in either of two edges of the 2D quantum hall system.

Integer quantum Hall systems can have any number of chiral edge states, the number of which is equal to the Chern number of the bulk band structure.

hbaromega said:
How can one get more than two edge states in quantum spin hall effect (QSHE)? Wouldn't it be only two edge states (one for spin up and the other for spin down)?

Any model corresponding to two copies of quantum Hall systems (1) related to each other by time reversal (that means, the Chern numbers associated with the two copies are negative of each other) and (2) with odd Chern numbers, describes a Z_2 non-trivial insulator(QSHE), although this isn't the most general definition of the quantum spin Hall effect.

If the Chern number of one copy is 2n+1, its time-reversed partner should have a Chern number of -(2n+1), and the model will have 2n+1 pairs of counter-propagating edge states (per edge). Still, this number is not robust under disorder, but only the parity is.

Last edited:

What is a topological insulator?

A topological insulator is a material that behaves as an insulator in its bulk, but exhibits conducting properties on its surface or edges due to the presence of topologically protected surface states.

What are edge states in a topological insulator?

Edge states are conducting states that exist at the edges of a topological insulator. These states are topologically protected, meaning they are immune to disturbances and do not easily decay, making them ideal for future applications in quantum computing and spintronics.

What is the difference between a regular insulator and a topological insulator?

A regular insulator has a band gap, which means that no electrons can move through it. However, in a topological insulator, there is a special type of band gap that allows for the existence of edge or surface states that can conduct electricity.

What are some potential applications of topological insulators?

Topological insulators have potential applications in quantum computing, spintronics, and energy harvesting. They could also be used in future electronic devices that are more energy-efficient and have faster processing speeds.

How are topological insulators studied and characterized?

Topological insulators can be studied and characterized using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and transport measurements. These techniques allow scientists to observe and measure the unique properties of topological insulators.