1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Topology Problem) Finding an interesting homeomorphism

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    NxNx[0,1) is homeomorphic to [0, 1). Find an explicit homeomorphism.
    (Note that N=naturals)

2. Relevant equations
    A function f is a homeomorphism if:
    (1) f is bijective
    (2) f is continuous
    (3) f inverse is continuous

3. The attempt at a solution
    Finding a map from [0, 1) to NxNx[0, 1) seems easier. So, we would have a function of the following structure:

F([0, 1))=(g([0,1)), g([0, 1)), h([0, 1))) s.t. g([0, 1))=N and h([0, 1))=[0, 1), so clearly h is just the identity function, which is clearly bijective. Now, the question is how to get a function g that is bijective. [0, 1) is uncountable and N is countably infinite, so the cardinalities do not correspond. Perhaps my idea will not work. Let me know what you all think and feel free to express any other ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't believe for a second that [itex]\mathbb{N}\times \mathbb{N}\times [0,1)[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex][0,1)[/itex].

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For one thing, [0, 1) is a connected set. NxNx[0, 1) is not connected.

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4
    Whoops, I forgot to mentione that NxNx[0,1) has the dictionary order topology. Does this change your mind?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook