Topology Question: Is A Open if Open Subsets of A Union to A?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Topology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JasonJo
Messages
425
Reaction score
2
Suppose I have some subset of R, not necessarily an interval, let it be denoted as A. I have some union (might be countable, might be finite, might be uncountable) of sets where each set is an open set of A and the union of the open sets is equal to A. Can I conclude that A is open?

I am not sure because the sets are open in A, not necessarily open in R. I don't know much about A other than it is some subset of R.

Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't conclude that A is open. For a trivial example, take a non-open subset A of R. Note that A is open in itself.
 
If all that you know is that the sets are open in A this can't tell you anything about whether A is open in R. E.g. A is always open in A.