Tornado Biggest Lightning Thunder BOOM Explosion EVER

In summary: This can create a much louder thunder sound compared to negative lightning, which originates in the lower part of the thunderstorm.In summary, the speaker was a storm chaser for many years and had seen many tornadoes, lightning strikes, hail, wind, and rain. However, they experienced a new and intense type of storm last night, with counter clockwise rotation and no lightning strikes to the ground. The thunder was extremely loud, reminiscent of dynamite, and a tornado passed nearby. They also shared experiences of being struck by lightning on a plane and walking in a thunderstorm near Montreal. The speaker wonders about the intensity of lightning strikes in the clouds and suggests that it may be due to positive lightning originating in the tops of thunderheads.
gary350
I was a storm chaser for many years. I have seen 100s of tornadoes. I have seen all types of lightning, hail, wind, rain, etc. I thought I had seen it all until last night. Radar shows counter clock wise rotation moving east I appeared to me in the exact path. There were no lightning strikes to the ground only lightning in the clouds. It was only sprinkling a small amount of rain, wind gusting to about 30 mph. Radar showed rotation was 4 miles away. There was a flash of lightning in the clouds that light up the clouds like the sun came out, it light up the whole country side and light up where where was standing I could see everything in the dark for several seconds. 20 seconds later BOOM thunder louder than 1000 lbs of dynamite. The shock wave hit me and shook everything even the ground. Thunder sound rumbled across the country side for 25 seconds. I never hear thunder like that it reminds we when we use to play with explosives and shoot off 1000 lbs of dynamite all at once like it was a large firecracker. Few minutes later tornado was on the ground 1 mile away coming in my direction. Tornado passed me to the north about 1/2 mile away. Storm moved on 200 miles to the east.

I have seen 1000s of lightning strikes some only 20 ft away where lightning strike and thunder were both at the same time it was very close and extremely loud too. The lightning strike last night was not close and thunder was many times louder than lightning 20 ft away. WOW I understand lightning strikes to the ground but I don't under stand lightning stinks in the clouds how can they build up to such a tremendous explosion of energy and not strike the ground? .

Science news on Phys.org
We were on the way to our Hawaii honeymoon when, about 1 hour out of Chicago, we were struck by lightning.
It was incredibly loud. I was sitting next to the window overlooking the wing, and I immediately announced what it was to the other passengers.
But it was so loud, it took some time to convince many of them what it was.
About a minute later, the pilot got on the PA system and talked about "static electricity". Apparently he didn't want to use the "l" word and didn't know we were already using it.

I also walked in a bizarrely intense thunder storm south of Montreal. Several times the lightning struck so close that I felt the missing rain column that was evaporated by the lightning bolt. It fell on my seconds after the strike. Even with my eyes shut, my entire field of vision was bright white.

But that was still not as loud as the one in the plane. So you may be right - those airborne bolts may be louder.

It might have been positive lightning:
https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/positive
Positive lightning originates in the tops of thunderheads and therefore has a much higher voltage associated with it.

1. What causes a tornado?

A tornado is caused by a combination of warm, moist air rising and cold, dry air descending. This creates a rotating column of air that can develop into a tornado under the right conditions.

2. How strong can a tornado be?

The strength of a tornado is measured on the Enhanced Fujita (EF) scale, which ranges from EF0 to EF5. An EF5 tornado is the strongest, with wind speeds over 200 mph and the ability to cause catastrophic damage.

3. Can a tornado produce lightning?

Yes, tornadoes can produce lightning. This is known as a "tornadic lightning" and is caused by the strong updrafts and downdrafts within the storm that create an electrical charge.

4. What is the biggest tornado ever recorded?

The largest tornado on record was the El Reno tornado in Oklahoma in 2013, which had a maximum width of 2.6 miles and wind speeds of up to 296 mph.

5. Is it possible for a tornado to produce a "thunder boom" explosion?

While a tornado can produce a loud roaring sound, it is not capable of creating a "thunder boom" explosion. Thunder is caused by lightning, and tornadoes do not produce lightning on their own. However, the strong winds and debris within a tornado can create loud booming sounds.