1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and angular acceleration of two discs

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2nv7d7a.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Ʃ[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
    ƩF = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to calculate A and B which I am confident is correct..

2r5dd1x.jpg

for part C is what I'm having trouble with. Since both disks are fixed together, does that mean they share the same angular acceleration? if so I think the way to go about this is I apply the equation

Ʃ[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

where it will be T1R1 - T2R2 = I[itex]\alpha[/itex] and I just solve for alpha.

but since they are now accelerating.. doesn't that change each tension to be t = mg + ma? instead of just t = mg ? which then makes it much more difficult to solve..

unless if the tensions are just mg then it will be fairly easy to solve since I can find the alpha of the rotating system then just apply the equation

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]R

and calculate the a for each, and from there I will be able to find the tensions in each rope.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes - that is what "fixed together" means. You needed to assume this to do (a) and (b).

Use the free-body diagram to inform you of the tensions. Don't anticipate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted