Torque and angular acceleration of two discs

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for the tensions in a system of two fixed disks with the use of the equations Ʃ\tau = I\alpha and ƩF = ma. It is determined that since both disks are fixed together, they share the same angular acceleration. There is a question about whether the acceleration changes the tensions, but it is advised to use the free-body diagram to inform the tension values instead of anticipating changes.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

2nv7d7a.jpg

Homework Equations

Ʃ[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
ƩF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate A and B which I am confident is correct..

2r5dd1x.jpg

for part C is what I'm having trouble with. Since both disks are fixed together, does that mean they share the same angular acceleration? if so I think the way to go about this is I apply the equation

Ʃ[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

where it will be T1R1 - T2R2 = I[itex]\alpha[/itex] and I just solve for alpha.

but since they are now accelerating.. doesn't that change each tension to be t = mg + ma? instead of just t = mg ? which then makes it much more difficult to solve..

unless if the tensions are just mg then it will be fairly easy to solve since I can find the alpha of the rotating system then just apply the equation

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]R

and calculate the a for each, and from there I will be able to find the tensions in each rope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both disks are fixed together, does that mean they share the same angular acceleration?
Yes - that is what "fixed together" means. You needed to assume this to do (a) and (b).

since they are now accelerating.. doesn't that change each tension to be t = mg + ma?
Use the free-body diagram to inform you of the tensions. Don't anticipate.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object that causes it to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly proportional. This means that the larger the torque applied to an object, the greater the resulting angular acceleration will be.

3. Can you explain the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque causes an object to rotate in one direction, while negative torque causes it to rotate in the opposite direction. The direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the applied force in relation to the center of rotation.

4. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. Mathematically, it is represented as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

5. What factors affect the torque and angular acceleration of two discs?

The torque and angular acceleration of two discs can be affected by multiple factors, such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance between the discs, and the mass and inertia of the discs. Friction between the discs and the surface they are rotating on can also play a role in their torque and angular acceleration.