1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and energy conservation of a yoyo

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1
    In 1993, a giant yo-yo of mass 480 kg and measuring about 1.9 m in radius was dropped from a crane 57 m high. Assuming that the axle of the yo-yo had a radius of r=0.1 m, find the velocity of the descent v at the end of the fall.

I know that .5mv2+.5Iw2=mgh, but I don't have a clue how to find w (the angular velocity).

I really don't even know where to start. The only thing I can think of is the force due to gravity creating a torque, which would allow me to solve for the angular acceleration, but even then I would need the amount of time it takes to travel 57m in order to get the angular velocity.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2006 #2
    It is easy to show that [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}=v=R\frac{d\theta}{dt}=R\omega[/tex].
    (To show this, simply draw a diagram - If the yo-yo rotates through an angle [tex]d\theta[/tex] what is the consequent change in z?)
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  4. Apr 6, 2006 #3
    Wouldn't I need the angular velocity, velocity, or time to do anything with that?
  5. Apr 6, 2006 #4
    According to my last post, [tex] v = R\omega[/tex]. This relation doesn't involve time. Try putting this into your energy conservation equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?