1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and equilibrium; concept problem

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm just trying to understand why the force from net torque isn't included in net force when considering equilibrium: Why isn't the force from torque part of the net forces acting on a body?

2. Relevant equations
    if net force = 0 and net torque = 0 then the body is in equilibrium;
    net force = ma, torque = Frsin@, where @ is theta

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems like the force required for torque should be part of the net forces acting on the body.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

"Net force" is not a force, it's the sum of individual forces. You can certainly have forces acting on something so as to create a net torque, yet those same forces add up to zero net force. For example: a vertical force to the right of center and an equal but opposite vertical force to the left of center.

And you can also have a net force on a body with zero net torque.
  4. Dec 2, 2008 #3

Your example helped me:

So from this I now believe that the force from the torque actually is considered in the net force acting on the object. Now I am starting to understand why both net force and net torque need to be included for equilibrium.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?