Torque and Force exerts on pulley

In summary, The system consists of a 12.0 kg box and a 5.00 kg weight connected by a thin, light wire passing over a frictionless pulley in the shape of a uniform solid disk with a mass of 1.80 kg and a diameter of 0.520 m. The horizontal and vertical tensions in the wire are 32.8N and 35.3N respectively. To find the magnitude of the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the axle exerts on the pulley after the system is released, we need to take into account the rotational dynamics of the pulley. This involves considering the acceleration of all three masses and using a free body diagram to determine the resultant force acting on
saturn67
A 12.0 kg box resting on a horizontal, frictionless surface is attached to a 5.00 kg weight by a thin, light wire that passes over a frictionless pulley. The pulley has the shape of a uniform solid disk of mass 1.80 kg and diameter 0.520 m.

i found
horizontal tension = 32.8N

vertical tension = 35.3N

After the system is released, find magnitude of the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the axle exerts on the pulley.?

i think Fx = 32.8
but Fy = 35.3+mg i think my Fy is wrong

Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone got any idea?

Fx,Fy of that answer is wrong .. :(

i think Fx of my right

can anyone help me please? =(

The solution will need to take account of the rotational dynamics of the pulley.

can u give me more detail on it? i still little confuse

Is that the full, original text of the question?

Three masses will accelerate together in response to the weight of the hanging mass. One of them, the pulley, will accelerate rotationally. Because both masses and the edge of the wheel are connected by the wire we know that all of them accelerate at the same weight (we are not told anything about the wire's elasticity so have to presume it is linearly stiff).

Once we find that acceleration we can find the tension in the vertical and horizontal parts of the wire.

Prudent now to draw a free body diagram of the pulley. Whatever the resultant of the forces acting on the pulley, the axle is opposing.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is equal to the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What is the relationship between torque and force?

Torque and force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the force applied to an object increases, the torque also increases. Similarly, if the force decreases, the torque decreases as well.

How does a pulley affect torque and force?

A pulley is a simple machine that changes the direction of a force applied to it. In terms of torque, a pulley can increase or decrease the amount of force needed to rotate an object depending on the number and arrangement of the pulleys.

What is the role of friction in torque and force on a pulley?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can affect the amount of force needed to rotate a pulley. When there is more friction between the pulley and the object it is rotating, more force is needed to overcome this resistance and rotate the object.

How is torque and force on a pulley calculated?

To calculate the torque on a pulley, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. To calculate the force exerted on a pulley, you need to know the mass of the object being lifted and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for force is force = mass x acceleration.