1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque around a point from lever linkage

Tags:
  1. May 7, 2017 #1
    Hi all. Brushing up on some of my force and torque stuff so I can do some modelling in software.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a system as shown in the picture. A force F acts at point A, which is the end point of the lever AB. Connected to the lever is a link BC, and connected to BC at point C is another link CD, which is anchored to the ground.
    I'm trying to resolve this into a torque around the point D. I know the lengths, and all the angles involved, I'm just confused about how the force travels through the linkage.
    SWs7w.png

2. Relevant equations
    T = F*r*sin(theta) is the equation for torque from a force acting at an angle

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt was to try and equate the forces through the lever first.
    Let F_b be the output force of the lever at point B, resulting from F acting at point A.
    F*(alpha/2)*sin(theta) = F_b*(alpha/2) *sin(phi). Solve for F_b.
    From here, I would assume that this force F_b is acting on member CD at an angle of omega and at a lever length of lambda. From this I can calculate the torque around D.

However, I'm not at all sure if this is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Draw the vectors representing the forces directly on the diagram . You should be able to see a way of solving this and similar problems very easily .

Just for interest - since you mention software modelling - you can use a modern cad system as a visual calculator for linkage problems .

4. May 7, 2017 #3
    Hi Nidum,
    Thanks for your reply. I've drawn the force vectors that I think are happening, as seen below. Is that correct? The main issue I'm having is actually determining the value of F_b and whether or not it interacts along BC or if it acts at an angle on BC. fjgS2Px.png

5. May 7, 2017 #4
    Anyone able to help?

6. May 7, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let the tension in BC be T (your Fb).
    What equilibrium equations can you write for the point B?
    What equilibrium equations can you write for the point C?

7. May 7, 2017 #6
    So would the torque around D just boil down to = F_b*lambda*sin(omega)?

Where F_b is = [ F*(alpha/2)*sin(theta) ] / [ (alpha/2)*sin(phi) ]

8. May 7, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

9. May 7, 2017 #8
    Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted