1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque for rotating a shaft of unbalanced weight

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. Hi all. Can anyone please help me find the torque required for rotating a shaft which has two masses 1000 Kg each at 120 Degree angles. Please refer to the attachment for clarity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you need the lengths of the two bars.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    The bars are 500mm long each. How do I calculate the torque?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Torque = force times length.
    So, what do you think you should use for length and force?

You sure the bars are of equal length? Looks like bar 1 is longer than bar 2.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    should i use formula torque = I * Angular velocity for calculating the torque for rotating the shaft? Please clarify

7. Oct 30, 2011 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, since that's the formula for angular momentum, not torque.

8. Oct 30, 2011 #7
    ok then. since both the masses are at 120 deg angle. what is the total mass i should i consider. should i add 1000+1000 = 2000 Kg or should i calculate the resultant mass? can u help me in finding the resultant mass?

9. Oct 30, 2011 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You never answered my question: are you sure the masses are of equal length?

10. Oct 30, 2011 #9
    Yes. Both the masses are of equal length.

11. Oct 31, 2011 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, (though I'm still wondering why the drawing shows them as clearly of different lengths).

How about writing an expression for the torque about the axis of rotation as a function of angular position? You can call zero angle at any position you like.

Take one bar at a time. What's the torque gravity applies to one of the bars as a function of its angular position?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook