Torque on a block with acceleration 4i-3j.

In summary, a 2.0-kg block at rest on the positive x-axis experiences an acceleration of 4i-3j. Using the equations for linear acceleration and torque, the angular acceleration and moment of inertia can be found. The torque acting on the block at the end of 2.0 s can then be calculated using the definition of torque. It is important to consider the block's position at the end of 2 seconds when calculating torque.

Homework Statement

A 2.0-kg block starts from rest on the positive x-axis 3.0 m from the origina and thereafter has an acceleration given by a = 4i-3j. The torque, relative to the origin acting on it at the end of 2.0 s is:

Homework Equations

linear acceleration= (radius)(angular acceleration)

torque= (moment of Inertia)(angular acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular acceleration using the formula above
moment of Inertia=(mass)(radius square)
Then find the torque using the formula above

that's not it...help!...:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Definition of torque;

[tex]\tau = \vec{F}\times \vec{r} = m\vec{a}\times\vec{r}[/tex]

Hint: Where is the block at the end of 2 seconds?

thanks for the help guys...

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m).

2. How is torque related to acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied. In other words, the greater the force and the longer the distance, the greater the torque. Acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of the change in an object's velocity over time. While torque can cause an object to accelerate, acceleration does not directly affect torque.

3. What does the vector 4i-3j represent in this context?

The vector 4i-3j represents the force applied to the block in the x and y directions, respectively. The "i" and "j" represent the unit vectors in the x and y directions, and the coefficients 4 and -3 represent the magnitudes of the forces in those directions. This vector can be used to calculate the net torque on the block.

4. How does torque affect the motion of the block?

Torque can cause the block to rotate around an axis, but it does not directly affect the block's linear motion. However, if the torque is large enough, it can cause the block to rotate and thus change its direction of motion.

5. What factors can affect the torque on the block?

The torque on the block can be affected by several factors, such as the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance from the force to the axis of rotation, and the mass and shape of the block. Other external factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also affect the torque on the block.

Suggested for: Torque on a block with acceleration 4i-3j.

Back