• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Torque on a charged particle moving in a circle in a uniform B field

Homework Statement

A particle of charge q = e moves in a circle of radius = 0.44 m with speed v = 2.350×107 m/s. Treating the circular path as a current loop with constant current equal to its average current, find the maximum torque exerted on the loop by a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B = 1.00 T.

Homework Equations

R=mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
m = rqB / v
m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
m = 2.999E-27 kg

I could also find KE but I'm not sure what to do with either of these two. How does torque relate to magnetism?

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
m = rqB / v
m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
m = 2.999E-27 kg
You are solving a different problem. Realize that the given magnetic field is not the field that is making the charge go in a circle.

Treat the moving charge as a current loop. (What's the average current?) A current loop placed in a magnetic field will experience a torque. Look up: torque on a current loop, magnetic moment of a current loop.