Torque on a charged particle moving in a circle in a uniform B field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
ganondorf29
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A particle of charge q = e moves in a circle of radius = 0.44 m with speed v = 2.350×107 m/s. Treating the circular path as a current loop with constant current equal to its average current, find the maximum torque exerted on the loop by a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B = 1.00 T.

Homework Equations



R=mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
m = rqB / v
m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
m = 2.999E-27 kg

I could also find KE but I'm not sure what to do with either of these two. How does torque relate to magnetism?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ganondorf29 said:
I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
m = rqB / v
m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
m = 2.999E-27 kg
You are solving a different problem. Realize that the given magnetic field is not the field that is making the charge go in a circle.

Treat the moving charge as a current loop. (What's the average current?) A current loop placed in a magnetic field will experience a torque. Look up: torque on a current loop, magnetic moment of a current loop.