Torque on a charged particle moving in a circle in a uniform B field

In summary, the problem involves a particle with charge q = e moving in a circle of radius = 0.44 m with speed v = 2.350×107 m/s. By treating the circular path as a current loop, with a constant current equal to its average current, the maximum torque exerted on the loop by a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B = 1.00 T can be found. To solve this problem, the concepts of torque on a current loop and magnetic moment of a current loop can be used.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

A particle of charge q = e moves in a circle of radius = 0.44 m with speed v = 2.350×107 m/s. Treating the circular path as a current loop with constant current equal to its average current, find the maximum torque exerted on the loop by a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B = 1.00 T.

Homework Equations

R=mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
m = rqB / v
m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
m = 2.999E-27 kg

I could also find KE but I'm not sure what to do with either of these two. How does torque relate to magnetism?

Physics news on Phys.org
ganondorf29 said:
I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
m = rqB / v
m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
m = 2.999E-27 kg
You are solving a different problem. Realize that the given magnetic field is not the field that is making the charge go in a circle.

Treat the moving charge as a current loop. (What's the average current?) A current loop placed in a magnetic field will experience a torque. Look up: torque on a current loop, magnetic moment of a current loop.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to understand the concept of torque and how it relates to magnetism. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, and it is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. In the case of a charged particle moving in a circle, the force is the Lorentz force, which is given by F = qvB, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field.

Now, to find the torque exerted on the particle, we need to find the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the radius of the circle is given as 0.44 m, so the distance from the axis of rotation would be half of that, or 0.22 m. Therefore, the torque would be given by T = qvBd, where d is the distance from the axis of rotation.

Next, we need to determine the maximum torque that can be exerted on the particle. This would occur when the Lorentz force is perpendicular to the velocity of the particle, which means that the angle between the force and the distance from the axis of rotation would be 90 degrees. In this case, the maximum torque would be given by T = qvBd = qvB(0.22) = 0.22qBv.

Now, we can plug in the given values to calculate the maximum torque. We know that q = e (charge of an electron), v = 2.350×107 m/s, and B = 1.00 T. Plugging these values in, we get T = (1.602E-19)(2.350×107)(1.00)(0.22) = 7.45E-12 Nm.

In conclusion, the maximum torque exerted on the charged particle by the uniform magnetic field is 7.45E-12 Nm. It is important to note that this torque is only applicable when the particle is moving in a circle, and it will vary as the particle moves along different paths.

What is torque on a charged particle moving in a circle in a uniform B field?

The torque on a charged particle moving in a circle in a uniform B field refers to the twisting force that is exerted on the particle as a result of the interaction between its charge and the magnetic field. This torque causes the particle to experience a change in its angular momentum and results in a circular motion.

What is the direction of the torque on a charged particle in this scenario?

The direction of the torque on a charged particle in this scenario is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This direction can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the particle's velocity, the index finger points in the direction of the magnetic field, and the middle finger represents the direction of the torque.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the torque on the charged particle?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the torque on the charged particle. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the torque on the particle also increases. This is because a stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the particle, resulting in a larger torque.

What is the relationship between the charge of the particle and the torque?

The charge of the particle also plays a role in determining the torque it experiences in a uniform B field. The greater the charge of the particle, the stronger the interaction with the magnetic field and the larger the torque. This means that particles with a higher charge will experience a greater torque compared to particles with a lower charge moving at the same velocity in the same magnetic field.

How is the radius of the circular motion of the charged particle related to the torque?

The radius of the circular motion of the charged particle is inversely proportional to the torque it experiences. This means that as the torque increases, the radius of the circular motion decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula τ = mω²r, where τ is the torque, m is the mass of the particle, ω is its angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.