1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on a charged particle moving in a circle in a uniform B field

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of charge q = e moves in a circle of radius = 0.44 m with speed v = 2.350×107 m/s. Treating the circular path as a current loop with constant current equal to its average current, find the maximum torque exerted on the loop by a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B = 1.00 T.

2. Relevant equations

R=mv/qB

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go. I did find the mass by the following equation:
    m = rqB / v
    m = 0.44 * 1.602E-19 * 1 / 2.35E7
    m = 2.999E-27 kg

I could also find KE but I'm not sure what to do with either of these two. How does torque relate to magnetism?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are solving a different problem. Realize that the given magnetic field is not the field that is making the charge go in a circle.

Treat the moving charge as a current loop. (What's the average current?) A current loop placed in a magnetic field will experience a torque. Look up: torque on a current loop, magnetic moment of a current loop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook