Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Torque/Static Equilibrium/Forces problem

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    Torque/Static Equilibrium/Forces problem....

I have been working on this problem for a few hours, but I just can't get it ...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem:

A 3.0-m-long rigid beam with a mass of 100 kg is supported at each end. An 80 kg student stands 2.0 m from support 1. How much upward force does support 1 exert on the beam?

here is an image:

http://photo.ringo.com/208/208651783O865465193.jpg [Broken]

----

2. Relevant equations

τ=Frsinφ
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out the torques kinda, but do i use the mass as (2/3*100)+80? or (2/3*100)+40...either way i kept getting a wrong answer....

and the center of mass i assume is where the person is right? bec the 80kg addition would be the most massive point right?

since the angles are 90 degrees, the sine of φ doesnt matter right?, i mean it would only affect the sign +/- of the answer....since τ=Frsinφ, and φ is either 90 or -90 degrees...

idk...basically i just cant get this...

i got solutions ranging from 76.666.., 1306.666... etc...

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Assume the weight of the beam acting at the center of the beam, and set the sum of all torques with respect to support B equal zero.

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    so do i pretend support 2 doesnt exist? and then just find the torque for support 1 using [80kg+(2/3*100)] as the mass?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  5. Apr 29, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, you can pretend support 2 doesn't exist. Do you know how to draw a free body diagram? You have three forces acting - one is the weight of the bar, the second one is the weight of the person, and the third one is the force at support 1 you need to find.

6. May 1, 2007 #5
    lol...yea i got it, thanks, i went to a tutor today bec i was making small errors...i for the torque of the person, i was using the weight as (person+segment of rod), when its only supposed to be person

thanks for the help, greatly appreciated

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook