1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque/Static Equilibrium/Forces problem

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    Torque/Static Equilibrium/Forces problem....

I have been working on this problem for a few hours, but I just can't get it ...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem:

A 3.0-m-long rigid beam with a mass of 100 kg is supported at each end. An 80 kg student stands 2.0 m from support 1. How much upward force does support 1 exert on the beam?

here is an image:

http://photo.ringo.com/208/208651783O865465193.jpg

----

2. Relevant equations

τ=Frsinφ
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out the torques kinda, but do i use the mass as (2/3*100)+80? or (2/3*100)+40...either way i kept getting a wrong answer....

and the center of mass i assume is where the person is right? bec the 80kg addition would be the most massive point right?

since the angles are 90 degrees, the sine of φ doesnt matter right?, i mean it would only affect the sign +/- of the answer....since τ=Frsinφ, and φ is either 90 or -90 degrees...

idk...basically i just cant get this...

i got solutions ranging from 76.666.., 1306.666... etc...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Assume the weight of the beam acting at the center of the beam, and set the sum of all torques with respect to support B equal zero.

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    so do i pretend support 2 doesnt exist? and then just find the torque for support 1 using [80kg+(2/3*100)] as the mass?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  5. Apr 29, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, you can pretend support 2 doesn't exist. Do you know how to draw a free body diagram? You have three forces acting - one is the weight of the bar, the second one is the weight of the person, and the third one is the force at support 1 you need to find.

6. May 1, 2007 #5
    lol...yea i got it, thanks, i went to a tutor today bec i was making small errors...i for the torque of the person, i was using the weight as (person+segment of rod), when its only supposed to be person

thanks for the help, greatly appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?