1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsional oscillator with angular displacement

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. A torsional oscillator of rotational inertia 2.1 kg·m2 and torsional constant 3.4 N·m/rad has a total energy of 5.4 J.
    What is its maximum angular displacement?
    What is its maximum angular speed?

2. Relevant equations
    θ(t)=Acosωt

3. The attempt at a solution
    still trying to think on how to use the energy given, I can't relate kinetic energy...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure if i completely understand the question, so please feel free to correct me.

Now, consider a torsional oscillator: f.ex. a mass at the end of a wire: The mass has the angular inertia, [itex]I[/itex], and the wire it's torsional constant, [itex]\tau_{c}[/itex], with values as specified. Assuming the total energy is conserved (no friction or outside forces), the total energy will be the sum of: (I) the potential energy, [itex]E_{pot}[/itex], corresponding to the work needed to rotate the mass to some angular displacement. (II) the kinetic energy, [itex]E_{kin}[/itex], due to the mass' velocity and angular inertia.

If you study the units of the torsional constant, [itex]\tau_{c}[/itex], you see that [N*m / rad] = [J / rad], applying that work is given from force times distance (newton meters). Hence, if the energy you submitted is the total energy, [itex]E[/itex], then the maximum angular displacement, [itex]\theta_{max}[/itex], will be when,
    [itex]
    E_{kin}=0 \\
    E_{pot}= E = 5.4 J
    [/itex]

corresponding to the potential energy stored in the wire by 'twinning it up',
    [itex]
    \tau_{c} \cdot \theta_{max} = E_{pot}
    [/itex]

As you'll easily calculate yourself, inserting correct values and solving for [itex]\theta_{max}[/itex].

The maximum angular velocity, [itex]\omega[/itex], will then be at the point of rotation where,
    [itex]
    E_{pot}=0 \\
    E_{kin}= E = 5.4 J \\

E_{kin} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot I \cdot \omega ^2
    [/itex]

Also there are all necessary values given: just solve for [itex]\omega[/itex]. That should be it. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted