Total derivative in action of the field theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the least action and the concept of total derivative in a physical system. The participants have some questions about the calculation and the requirement for "spatial infinity". The expert explains that the calculation involves a four-vector and its contraction, and the requirement for "spatial infinity" is to make the integration process easier. They also mention the importance of integrating with respect to proper time for a more relativistic approach.
victorvmotti
When applying the least action I see that a term is considered total derivative.

Two points are not clear to me.

We say that first
$$\int \partial_\mu (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi) d^4x= \int d(\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)= (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)$$

And then because the variation at the spatial infinity vanishes this terms is equal to zero.

I do not get the calculation from $$\partial_\mu (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi) d^4x=\frac {\partial (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)}{\partial x^\mu} dtdxdydz$$ to

$$d(\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)=\frac {\partial (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)}{\partial t}dt+\frac {\partial (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)}{\partial x}dx+\frac {\partial (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)}{\partial y}dy+\frac {\partial (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)}{\partial z}dz$$
$$\neq \frac {\partial (\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi)}{\partial x^\mu} dtdxdydz$$

Can you expand this to fill the gap for me.

Also, why we require "spatial infinity" here, isn't it also true that $$\delta \phi$$ in the $$\frac {\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi$$ vanishes at any two endpoints of the path, why we require infinity here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's set [itex] S^\mu=\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi [/itex]. As you can see, it has a free index, so its a four-vector.
Now if we differentiate it, we'll have [itex] \partial_\nu S^\mu [/itex](which is a 2nd rank mixed tensor). But what you want, is the contraction of this, which becomes:
[itex]
\partial_\mu S^\mu=\partial_0 S^0+\partial_1 S^1+\partial_2 S^2+\partial_3 S^3
[/itex]
So:
[itex]
\partial_\mu S^\mu d^4 x=\partial_0 S^0 dt dx dy dz+\partial_1 S^1dt dx dy dz+\partial_2 S^2dt dx dy dz+\partial_3 S^3dt dx dy dz
[/itex]
Given that you can do the integrations in any order, the result you wanted is concluded.

About your second question, its only that we take the spatial end points to be at infinity and the temporal ones, just two moments in time. But this isn't manifestly relativistic so I guess its better to integrate w.r.t. the proper time but I still don't know how to do that, I should work on it!

What is the total derivative in the action of field theory?

The total derivative in the action of field theory is a mathematical concept used to describe the change in a field's value at a particular point in space and time. It takes into account both the change in the field's value and the change in the coordinates that define the point.

How is the total derivative calculated?

The total derivative is calculated using the partial derivatives of the field with respect to each of the coordinates. It is represented by the symbol "d" followed by the field's symbol, and is written as "dF".

What is the significance of the total derivative in field theory?

The total derivative is significant in field theory because it allows us to understand how a field changes at a specific point in space and time. This information is crucial in predicting the behavior of physical systems and understanding the underlying principles of nature.

How does the total derivative relate to other derivatives?

The total derivative is related to other derivatives, such as the partial derivative and the ordinary derivative, as it takes into account the change in both the field and the coordinates. It is a more comprehensive measure of change and is often used in conjunction with other derivatives to fully describe a physical system.

Can the total derivative be applied to all fields in physics?

Yes, the total derivative can be applied to all fields in physics. It is a fundamental concept in field theory and is used to describe the behavior of a wide range of physical quantities, including electromagnetic fields, gravitational fields, and quantum fields.