1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total elastic potential energy of a compressed spring?

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring with a spring constant of 4 newtons per meter is compressed by a force of 1.2 newtons. What is the total elastic potential energy stored in this compressed spring?

k = 4 N/m
    F = 1.2 N
    PE = ?

2. Relevant equations
    PE = (1/2)(k)(x)^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the information from the problem, I can use PE = (1/2)(k)(x)^2 to find the stored potential energy. I can plug in 4 N/m for k, but I am stuck with plugging in the distance compressed for x. The problem gives me the amount of force used to compress the spring, but I don't know how to find the distance compressed using it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Are you familiar with Hooke's Law?

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Yes, today I asked my teacher about it in class, and he explained it to me. We know the spring constant is 4 N/m and the force applied, which is 1.2 newtons. Both are incorporated in Hooke's law(F = -kx); using it, we can solve for x by dividing the force by the spring constant, leaving .3 meters for distance compressed. Then we can use that with what we already know to find stored potential energy :biggrin:.

Thanks for the help anways

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook