Total energy of a rolling sphere

In summary, a solid sphere with a mass of 1.0 kg and a translational speed of 10 m/s has a total kinetic energy of 70 Joules, which is the sum of its rotational and linear kinetic energies. The rotational energy is calculated using the moment of inertia formula, and the translational velocity is the velocity of the center of mass. For further study, the link provided explains rolling motion in more detail.
pucr

Homework Statement

A solid sphere has a mass of 1.0 kg. It is rolling at a translational speed of 10 m/s. What is the total energy of the rolling sphere?
I think I got the problem but I'm not sure I went about it the right way.

Homework Equations

I = (2/5)mr^2
KE_rot = (1/2)Iw^2
KE = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed KE_total = KE_rot + KE...which I'm not sure is right.
So...
KE_rot = (1/2)Iw^2 = (1/2)(2/5)(m)(r^2)(w^2) = 20 Joules
and...
KE = (1/2)(m)(v^2) = 50 Joules
soo...

KE_total = 70 Joules
This is the right answer, but I'm not sure if the total kinetic energy is actually the rotational kinetic energy plus the linear kinetic energy. Also...what is translational velocity? Is this any different than the sphere moving in a direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assumed KE_total = KE_rot + KE...which I'm not sure is right.

That's right.

The translational velocity is the velocity of the center of mass.

The rotational energy is about an axis through the center of mass.

Here is a link that touches on rolling motion if you are interested in further study:
http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/courses/gladney/mathphys/java/sect4/subsubsection4_1_4_3.html

(Page down to rolling motion section.)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the total energy of a rolling sphere?

The total energy of a rolling sphere is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a rolling sphere calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rolling sphere is calculated using the formula 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and v is its velocity.

3. What is the potential energy of a rolling sphere?

The potential energy of a rolling sphere is the energy it possesses due to its position relative to the ground. It is calculated using the formula m * g * h, where m is the mass of the sphere, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the sphere from the ground.

4. How does the total energy of a rolling sphere change as it rolls?

As a rolling sphere moves, its total energy remains constant, but the amount of kinetic energy and potential energy may change depending on the sphere's position and velocity.

5. Can the total energy of a rolling sphere ever be negative?

No, the total energy of a rolling sphere can never be negative. It may have a negative potential energy if it is below the ground level, but its total energy will always be positive.