Rank the four objects from fastest to slowest

In summary, the four objects (1kg solid sphere, 1kg hollow sphere, 2kg solid sphere, and 1kg hoop) are ranked from fastest to slowest down the ramp as follows: D, B, A, C. This is because the moment of inertia (I) is proportional to the distance between the mass and the rotational axis and the kinetic energy (KE) increases when losing potential energy. Therefore, the larger the moment of inertia, the lower the rotational speed and the slower the object. The equation relating I, M, and R to linear acceleration can be written as a = KE/(md).
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

Rank the four objects (1kg solid sphere, 1kg hollow sphere, 2kg solid sphere and 1kg hoop) from fastest down the ramp to slowest. (Please see the attached screenshot for more details.)

Homework Equations

KE_rot = 1/2Iw^2 (where omega = w)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are given the values of I for each object, I was able to calculate the KE's of each:
the solid spheres had KE of 1/5mv^2; the hollow sphere had a KE of 1/5 mv^2, and the hoop had 1/2mv^2 (for KE).

Since KE = W = Fd = mad, a = KE/(md). Since all KE's had m's in their equations, the m's can be canceled out. This will give us a, and since from v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax where x is the same for all and v_0 = 0 for all (and thus v depends solely on the a). Then I had a_D = v^2/(2d), a_B = v^2/(3d), and a_A = a_C = v^2/(5d).

That tells me that then the order from fastest to slowest should be
D > B > A = C.

The answer, however, is the exact opposite: A=C > B > D.

Could someone please help me see why asap?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 9.55.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 9.55.38 PM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:

Homework Statement

Rank the four objects (1kg solid sphere, 1kg hollow sphere, 2kg solid sphere and 1kg hoop) from fastest down the ramp to slowest. (Please see the attached screenshot for more details.)

Homework Equations

KE_rot = 1/2Iw^2 (where omega = w)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are given the values of I for each object, I was able to calculate the KE's of each:
the solid spheres had KE of 1/5mv^2; the hollow sphere had a KE of 1/5 mv^2, and the hoop had 1/2mv^2 (for KE).

Since KE = W = Fd = mad, a = KE/(md). Since all KE's had m's in their equations, the m's can be canceled out. This will give us a, and since from v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax where x is the same for all and v_0 = 0 for all (and thus v depends solely on the a). Then I had a_D = v^2/(2d), a_B = v^2/(3d), and a_A = a_C = v^2/(5d).

That tells me that then the order from fastest to slowest should be
D > B > A = C.

The answer, however, is the exact opposite: A=C > B > D.

Could someone please help me see why asap?

The kinetic energy of the objects increases, when loosing potential energy: ##mgh =\frac{mv^2}{2} + I \omega^2/2##. The value of ##I## is proportional to the distance between the mass and the rotational axis (to the power of 2), therefore the larger ##I##, the lower the rotational speed (i.e. the slower the object). Just imagine two spheres of the same mass, but different size and compare the sum of their translational and roatational energies (##\frac{mv^2}{2}+I \omega^2/2 = \frac{m(r\omega)^2}{2}+I \omega^2/2##).

@stockzahn

Okay, so I just calculated the I's for each. (Assuming R's are all the same)
A: 2/5 R^2
B: 2/3 R^2
C: 4/5 R^2
D: R^2

Now I get why D is last. But A != C here... Could you help me out again?

JessicaHelena said:
@stockzahn

Okay, so I just calculated the I's for each. (Assuming R's are all the same)
A: 2/5 R^2
B: 2/3 R^2
C: 4/5 R^2
D: R^2

Now I get why D is last. But A != C here... Could you help me out again?
The moment of inertia is not the time taken. What equation can you write relating I, M and R to the linear acceleration?

1. What exactly does "fastest to slowest" mean in this context?

In this context, "fastest to slowest" refers to the order in which the four objects would complete a given task or travel a certain distance. The fastest object would complete the task or travel the distance in the shortest amount of time, while the slowest object would take the longest.

2. How do you determine the speed of each object?

The speed of an object can be determined by measuring the distance it travels in a given amount of time. This can be done using tools such as a stopwatch or a speedometer.

3. Is there a specific unit of measurement used for ranking the speed of objects?

Yes, the most commonly used unit for measuring speed is meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h) may also be used.

4. Can an object's speed change over time?

Yes, an object's speed can change due to various factors such as acceleration, deceleration, or external forces such as wind or friction. It is important to measure an object's speed at a specific moment in time to accurately rank it among other objects.

5. How does the weight or mass of an object affect its speed?

The weight or mass of an object can affect its speed, as heavier objects may require more energy to move and therefore may be slower than lighter objects. However, this is not always the case and other factors, such as the object's shape and the force applied to it, also play a role in determining its speed.