Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total nuclear spin of deuteron

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    Hello all, I am having trouble understanding how this works. In Krane there arises a discussion on total angular momentum I of the deuteron. While it is true it has three components, namely the individual spins of the neutron and proton, but also the orbital angular momentum l of the nucleons as they move about their common center of mass. This total angular momentum can be denoted by

[itex]I=s_{p} + s_{n} + l[/itex]

He continues on to talk about the different ways to couple these contributions and states there are only four possibilities. I can see the first two possibilities for total angular momentum I=1, but the other two make no sense. These are the possibilities:

(1) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are parallel with [itex]l=0[/itex]
    (2) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are antiparallel with [itex]l=1[/itex]
    (3) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are parallel with [itex]l=1[/itex]
    (4) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are parallel with [itex]l=2[/itex]

One can see why (1) and (2) hold by inspection but (3) and (4) make my brain hurt. Perhaps I am just not seeing the correct orientation. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

matumich26, Do you know how to couple two angular momenta? You don't just add them. When you couple J1 to J2 the combined system can have any value of J in the range from their sum J1 + J2 to their difference |J1 - J2|. You must include all of these possibilities. For example when you coupled the two spins together, 1/2 ⊗ 1/2 = 1 ⊕ 0. That's the way we write it, and it means the coupled system can have either S = 1 (parallel) or S = 0 (antiparallel).

Ok, you wanted to look at the cases with S = 1. When you further couple S with L,

1 ⊗ 0 = 1
    1 ⊗ 1 = 2 ⊕ 1 ⊕ 0
    1 ⊗ 2 = 3 ⊕ 2 ⊕ 1

You can see in all three of these cases, I = 1 is one of the possibilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook