Total Time Travelled for 400m by Bus

• Thread starter phynaive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the bus reaches a velocity of 9 m/s after 6 seconds of accelerating at 1.5 m/s^2 from rest. It then continues at this velocity and decelerates at -2 m/s^2 until it comes to a stop after 4.5 seconds. The total time taken for the bus to cover 400 m is 49.69 seconds.
phynaive

Homework Statement

a bus starts from rest and accelerating at 1.5m per second squared until it reaches a velocity of 9m/s.The bus continues at this velocity and then decelerates at -2m per second squared until it comes to a stop. 400m from its starting point. How much time did the bus take to cover the 400 m?

Homework Equations

s =vt, v=u+at, s= ut+ 1/2 * at^2, v^2= u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

intially found out the time traveled until it reaches 9m/s. so starting from rest, u=0, substituting in 2nd eq. I got t= 9sec. After this I am totally confused. I found out the initial distance travelled, and final diatance traveled . I know somewhere I am doing wrong. Please help me solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
it appears this problem could be split into different sections, try to find out what you can about the bus in each of these sections, then see where that takes you

also do you have the answers so we can see what we are aiming for?
i would also check the time you got for substituting u=0 and a=1.5, i didnt get t=9.

The time taken to reach 9m/s with a= 1.5m/s^2 is v=u+at => 9= 0+1.5t => t ( initial)= 6sec.
the initial distance traveled to reach from 0 to 9m/s with a =1.5 and t =6 is s= ut+i/2 at^2

=> the distance s(initial)= 0+1/2 * 1.5 * 6*6 = 27.

The time taken to stop from u= 9m/s with a = -2m/s^2, v =0 is v= u+at => t (final)= 4.5sec.

The final distance traveled when the bus was decelerating before stop with v=0,
u=9m/s, a -2m/s^2 is v^2 = u^2 +2as => s( final)= 20.25m

So the distance traveled with 9m/s continuously= total distance- s(initial)-s(final)
=> 400-27-20.25= 352.75m

the time taken to travel 352.75 m with the velocity 9m/s is t= s/v = 352.75/9= 39.19 sec

so the total time = t (initial)+ t ( final) + t = 6+4.5+39.19 = 49.69 sec

But in the textbook the answer was given as 50 sec.

Please let me know where I have done wrong

yeah i got the same asnwer!
well the textbook has obviously rounded the answer to the nearest second that's all!
well done =]

Thank you RoryP

Looks like you already solved this, good job. Using different words to do the same thing:

|---1----->|---2--------->|---3------->|

So you found t1 = 6
And you found that t3 = 4.5

Instead of d = vt + .5at^2 to find d1 and d3, you can also use average velocity. Vave= (v + v')/2 .

So Vave1 = 4.5 m/s , Vave2 = 9 m/s , and Vave 3 is 4.5 m/s .

d = (Vave1)(time1) + Vave2(time2) + Vave3(time3)

You can solve for time2 and add it with t1 and t3 from above to get 49.69 s.

1. How is the total time travelled for 400m by bus calculated?

The total time travelled for 400m by bus is calculated by adding the time spent on the bus and the time spent walking to and from the bus stop. This includes any stops or delays along the route.

2. What factors affect the total time travelled for 400m by bus?

The total time travelled for 400m by bus can be affected by traffic conditions, weather, the number of stops along the route, and the efficiency of the bus service. Other factors such as road construction or accidents can also impact the total time.

3. Is there a way to decrease the total time travelled for 400m by bus?

Yes, there are several ways to decrease the total time travelled for 400m by bus. One way is to choose a bus route with fewer stops, as this can reduce the overall travel time. Another way is to avoid peak traffic times, if possible, or to opt for alternative modes of transportation such as biking or walking for shorter distances.

4. How does the total time travelled for 400m by bus compare to other modes of transportation?

The total time travelled for 400m by bus can vary depending on the specific route and conditions, but in general, it may take longer than driving a car or taking a taxi. However, compared to other sustainable modes of transportation such as walking or biking, taking the bus may be a more time-efficient option for longer distances.

5. Is there a way to predict the total time travelled for 400m by bus?

While it is not possible to accurately predict the exact total time travelled for 400m by bus, there are some tools and apps available that can provide estimated travel times based on real-time traffic data and historical patterns. It is important to keep in mind that unexpected delays or disruptions can still occur, so it is best to plan for some extra time when using public transportation.