Total voltage, current and resistance

In summary, resistors can be placed in series, parrallel, or a combination, and current and voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law.
Lavace
I'm having problems understanding the voltage and current in resistors.

Basically, when resistors are placed in parrallel or series, how are you meant to work out the current and voltage running in each?

I was under the assumption you find the total current running in the circuit (when given V and the total resistance of the resistors in series or parralel, usually being you have to calculate the total resistance cause they're usually in parrallel).
Then you use this current to calculate the voltage running through it.

Or is it the other way round? I'm clueless on this!

Any help would be oh so perfect!
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. First calculate the total (resulting) resistance of all resistors together. You can (usually) do this when the resistors are in parrallel, series or a combination of both (do you know how?).

Assuming you know the voltage of the source, you can then calculate the total current through the circuit using ohm's law, V = IR.

An important 'detail' now is that the current through resistors in series will be equal, while the current over resistors in parrallel will not. (The current splits up between the two paths).

Once you know the current you can then use ohm's law again for each resistor R seperately to find the voltage over that resistor.

Lavace said:
I'm having problems understanding the voltage and current in resistors.

Basically, when resistors are placed in parrallel or series, how are you meant to work out the current and voltage running in each?
Just apply Ohm and Kirchoff's Laws or use a volt-ohm-ammeter and measure them.

I was under the assumption you find the total current running in the circuit (when given V and the total resistance of the resistors in series or parralel, usually being you have to calculate the total resistance cause they're usually in parrallel).
Then you use this current to calculate the voltage running through it.
I recommend going through examples in your textbook on these types of problems (applications of Ohm's Law). Start with the easy ones and work your way to more challenging ones. As you practice these, the answer to your question will become clear.

1. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage, current, and resistance are all interconnected. Voltage is the force that pushes electric charges through a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charges. Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for the current to flow. The relationship between these three is described by Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance (V=IR).

2. How do you measure total voltage in a circuit?

The total voltage in a circuit can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, which means it connects to the same two points as the component you are trying to measure the voltage of. The voltmeter will then display the voltage in volts (V).

3. How is total current calculated in a circuit?

The total current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I=V/R). This means that the total current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance. It can also be calculated by adding together the currents of all components in series in the circuit, as current remains constant in a series circuit.

4. What factors affect the total resistance in a circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit can be affected by the material and dimensions of the wires and components, as well as the temperature. Thicker wires and shorter lengths tend to have lower resistance, while thinner wires and longer lengths have higher resistance. The type of material also plays a role, as some materials have higher resistance than others. Temperature can also affect resistance, as it tends to increase with higher temperatures.

5. How do series and parallel circuits affect the total voltage, current, and resistance?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is divided among the components, but the total current remains constant. This means that the voltage and resistance for each component can be calculated by using Ohm's Law. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains constant, but the total current is divided among the branches. The total resistance in a parallel circuit is lower than the individual resistances of each component. This can be calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 +...+ 1/Rn.