Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tracing object trajectory through a photocamera

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I need to trace the trajectory of a moving object. The object are yellow and opaque while the background is grey. Since I'm interested in the shape rather than the exact coordinate, I'm wondering if I could use the light painting principle to impress on a photo the trajectory. How could I do it? By painting the object with any reflective paint? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way might be to make a video and put tracing paper over the screen. Play the vid and mark with a pencil.

There are probably some programs out there that will do motion detection for you and add a trail to the path of the moving object.

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3
    Keep the shutter open.
    You could also use a strobe light for multiple exposures while the shutter is open.

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4
    @Tom G. great idea the stroboscope!

@CWatters: is there any way to mark a video? My desire is to adopt a motion detection algorithm

6. Sep 29, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted