1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tracing object trajectory through a photocamera

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I need to trace the trajectory of a moving object. The object are yellow and opaque while the background is grey. Since I'm interested in the shape rather than the exact coordinate, I'm wondering if I could use the light painting principle to impress on a photo the trajectory. How could I do it? By painting the object with any reflective paint? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way might be to make a video and put tracing paper over the screen. Play the vid and mark with a pencil.

There are probably some programs out there that will do motion detection for you and add a trail to the path of the moving object.

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Keep the shutter open.
    You could also use a strobe light for multiple exposures while the shutter is open.

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4
    @Tom G. great idea the stroboscope!

@CWatters: is there any way to mark a video? My desire is to adopt a motion detection algorithm

6. Sep 29, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted