Tracking Birdwatchers and Canada Geese Interactions

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
In summary: I want to see them up close and personal.In summary, many people have seen a bald eagle in the wild. Kayakers and canoeists are welcome to report on their run-ins with Canada geese, while those who live in the Pacific Northwest can expect to see them often. Bald eagles are large birds that eat fish, and one can see them in Alaska and Michigan.

Redbelly98 said:
I've heard that's a misconception, and that hummingbirds know good and well when to migrate. The recommendation is to take the feeders down after you've gone 2 weeks without seeing them.

Thanks!

I seem to have three "regulars" who show up for the feeder every night. I suspect there are others I don't see during the day, since the feeder seems to get sucked dry awfully fast lately. That, or the three I do see are little piggies! (On the down side, they seem to be sharing with the bees and wasps...I had a nest of ground bees that didn't have the sense to leave the person supplying the sugar water alone though, so they got exterminated...they swarmed me and I think I was lucky I only got two stings when I accidentally found the nest with the lawnmower. If the bees had left me alone, I'd have let them keep their home. I didn't think hummers were supposed to share with the bees!)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi, MB! The males have already left as of 2-3 weeks ago to stake out territory in the winter stomping grounds. The females and juveniles are still here, tanking up for the trip. I leave the feeders up for as long as they'll come to them. They know when to leave.

Yeah, I've noticed I haven't seen males since before I went to Africa. I thought maybe the females chased them off now that the babies are nearly grown. :biggrin:

We've been enjoying hummingbirds here. I watched one the other day bopping back and forth in front of a finch. It was funny to watch. The hummer looked pretty intense, and the finch just looked like WT*?! The finch flew off and the hummer landed to stand guard.

I finally have *lots* of hummingbirds in my yard! I've tried for years to attract them. Maybe it took this long cold snap for them to find my yard, maybe it's a good year for them, maybe because I put up two feeders...? Well it doesn't matter why. I'm glad they're here!

They're all "[URL .[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

lisab said:
I finally have *lots* of hummingbirds in my yard! I've tried for years to attract them. Maybe it took this long cold snap for them to find my yard, maybe it's a good year for them, maybe because I put up two feeders...? Well it doesn't matter why. I'm glad they're here!

They're all "[URL .
If[/URL] you plant some cold-hardy flowers that they like, you'll probably get more of them. Ours (ruby-throated) are nuts over bee-balm (bergamot) which flowers for a long, long time every season and spreads like crazy. We have two varieties, with red or purple flowers. Plant some in full sun, and some in partial shade, if you want to stagger the flowering period a bit more.

lisab said:
I finally have *lots* of hummingbirds in my yard! I've tried for years to attract them. Maybe it took this long cold snap for them to find my yard, maybe it's a good year for them, maybe because I put up two feeders...

I always wanted to see them here as well, you just gave me the hope.

Redbelly, Moonbear, Turbo, Astro, LisaB, Borek,

My hummingbird story has a happy ending, however, it could have turned into a disaster. Left the garage door open last summer ran an errand to do something, when I came back there was a furious thumping between the curtain and the window in the garage. I thought it might be a large bee, but when I carefully slide the curtain back it was a green and yellow hummingbird, trying to get out beating wings against the glass. I got a soft towel and carefully scooped him up, my truck was in front of the garage, so I gently set him down in the towel on the hood and slowly lifted it off. He must have been near exhaustion because for about two minutes he sat there stunned with his little beak open and his tongue darting too and fro. Get this, his wings were not folded next to his body but hung limp next to his sides and he didn't appear to be standing on his feet. Suddenly without any warning he flew straight up, at least one hundred feet and flew off like a missile being launched. I believe now if I had come home fifteen minutes after I did he would have been dead, from exhaustion. That is my story and I am sticking to it, hehe.

Rhody...

PS

I thought this http://www.vimeo.com/1061969" was cool so I added it.

Attachments

• hummingbird.jpg
    hummingbird.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 356

WOW I just saw two Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds mate right outside my window!

Yay, go hummingbirds, go :biggrin:!

The courtship dance is fun to watch. Essentially, the male picks out one of the girls and flies rapid figure-8s in front of her while never taking his eyes off her. Show-offs!

lisab said:

Hummingbirds are quick. :biggrin:

Many birds are quick. We have caged finches; the courting dance is cool to watch, while the actual act is over with pretty fast.

Redbelly98 said:
Many birds are quick. We have caged finches; the courting dance is cool to watch, while the actual act is over with pretty fast.
Yep! When I was a kid, I'd go to a neighbor's house-trailer to help out with chores for a few bucks. Finches are really quick about mating. He had several cages of them, and the actual mating procedure (sans courtship) looked like a few seconds of fluttering and contact. Then it was over.

He gave them resources for nesting, and managed to get them to raise babies. Pretty impressive, since they were in cages with limited space.

lisab said:

Hmm mating in december?

I can't tell whether they are mating or fighting. Well if it is two males...not that there is anything wrong with that.

I do know that they can't walk.

actloj.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, a crow has fun sledding:

http://wxerfm.com/blogs/post/jfrieders/2012/jan/12/official-video-watch-crow-go-roof-tubing-sledding-/

I love crows :!)!

(I tried to find this video on youtube but for some reason I couldn't...otherwise I'd have embedded it.)

lisab said:
(I tried to find this video on youtube but for some reason I couldn't...otherwise I'd have embedded it.)

:redface: Thanks, Borek!