Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is portable generator a good idea?

1. Sep 7, 2016 #1
    I'm living in Canada.. It's been one week since we have no power in our home. We are finding it very difficult to do our works without the power supply. Last week there was a huge storm and we heard that many trees had fallen. So that may be the reason for the power cut. But we have to find some temporary solution for time being. My son said that we can buy a portable generator.

Edit: Link deleted by mod, we're getting a lot of generator spam all of a sudden.

Before purchasing it I would like to ask few suggestions from you all. Will this plan help us or should we think of some other method?? I don't want to waste my money simply, so I have to know whether portable generator will be effective during these type of long power cut?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Sep 7, 2016 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How are you able to post, if you've had no power for a week?

5. Sep 7, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If memory serves me well gas generator was what @turbo was using in emergencies. And it is definitely a way of dealing with lack of electricity, just check how much power you need and for what. Generator prices go up fast with the output power, and typical home appliances can be quite power hungry, so it is a matter of deciding how much you are willing to spend and what is really necessary and what can wait till you are connected back.

6. Sep 7, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

What essential things would you be thinking to use home-generated electricity for?

7. Sep 9, 2016 #6

jedishrfu

Thank you all for contributing, closing this thread since the OP never responded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook