Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory function of projectile motion

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    I've been studying this rather interesting article about projectile motion in special relativity. The thing is, I can't understand how the author found the trajectory function. He says that he did it by solving the following parametric equation:
    [tex]x(t)=\frac{cp_0cos\theta}{F}ln\left \{ \frac{\sqrt{E_0^2+c^2P^2(t)-c^2p_0^2sen^2\theta}+cP(t)}{E_0-cp_0sen\theta} \right \}\\\\
    y(t)=\frac{1}{F}\left \{ E_0-\sqrt{E_0^2+c^2P^2(t)-c^2p_0^2sen^2\theta} \right \}[/tex]
    For which he found the following function:
    [tex]y(x)=\frac{E_0}{F}-\frac{E_0}{F}cosh\left [ \frac{Fx}{p_occos\theta} \right ]+\frac{p_0csen\theta}{F}senh\left [ \frac{Fx}{p_0ccos\theta} \right ][/tex]
    I'm having some trouble with this calculation because of that [itex]cP(t)[/itex] term. I've tried backtracking as well, but it didn't work. I'm feeling stupid. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Don't know what any of this stands for, and the paper is behind a paywall. What is F, what is P(t)?? (I assume that sen, senh mean sin, sinh.)

Let X = Fx/(p0c cosθ), let Q = stuff inside the √, and drop the 0 subscripts on p0, E0.

eX = (√Q + cP)/(E - cp sinθ) = (E + cp sinθ)(√Q + cP)/(E2 - c2p2sin2θ)
    e-X = ... = (E - cp sinθ)(√Q - cP)/(E2 - c2p2sin2θ)

cosh X = (E√Q + c2pP sin2θ)/(E2 - c2p2sin2θ)

sinh X = (cp sinθ√Q + cPE)/(E2 - c2p2sin2θ)

From which, -E cosh X + pc sinθ sinh X = -√Q, which is (almost) y.

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry, I didn't write what any of these terms meant because my issue was with the algebra, not the problem's physics.
    [itex]P(t)=Ft-p_0sin\theta[/itex] (I think the author did that to simplify the equations) and I'm assuming [itex]F[/itex] is the weight.

Thank you for the help, it didn't occur to me that if I multiplied [itex]e^{-X}[/itex] by that I would get rid of the [itex]Q[/itex] in the denominator. Like I said, I'm stupid. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook