1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory (Quick Question) -- where would it be maximum speed?

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    • Warning: Posting template must be used in homework sections.
    http://puu.sh/dc1YU/fa1e0f3a6e.png [Broken]

Hey so if we have a trajectory like this, where would it be maximum speed?

From what I understand, at the midpoint, v = 0 right? So would the maximum speed be in between the bottom (initial) and the centre of the trajectory (peak), represented by B in this photo.

I haven't done questions related to these in a while so I was just curious to know if I remember this or not.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the template and check with the relevant equations under 2.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    Too useful

5. Dec 1, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you expect ? You give no clue you know about energy conservation, projectile trajectory equations, or anything else related.

At C, the thing is clearly moving to the right, so: No, v is not 0.
    If the speed would be at a maximum at B, that would mean acceleration 0 at that point. There is no argument for that, so: No, it's not in between.

You're welcome.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    Hey, sorry about that, it was just a random question I found haha. I figured it out though, thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted