Maximum uniform speed on a arc of a circular path ?

In summary, the car can only move at a maximum speed if it stays in contact with the path at all points along the path. The speed is given by the square root of the cosine of the angle between the path and the car's direction of travel.
Buffu
Question :-
A car has to move on a path, that is a arc of a circle of radius (##R##). The length of the path is (##L##). Suppose it starts on the highest point of the path, find the highest uniform speed for which, it does not lose contact with the path on any point ?

My attempt :-

I made a free body diagram, http://imgur.com/uwOokiJ
(The direct image insertion is not working, since this is my first post i don't know how to fix it :frown:. So i will leave a link to image, please check it http://imgur.com/uwOokiJ )

From the diagram i got,
The maximum permitted velocity at each point would be
##\large{mv \over R^2} = \large{mg \cos(\theta)}##
from which i got,
## v = \sqrt{Rg \cos(\theta)}##

Since we need to find maximum value of ##v##, thus we need to find maximum of ##\cos(\theta)##, which is ##1##.

So the answer is ## v = \sqrt{Rg}##

Which is incorrect.
correct answer is ##\sqrt{Rg\cos\left({l\over 2R}\right)}##.

I think i am close but, could not get it. Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Buffu and welcome to PF. :welcome:

Your answer is the speed at which the car loses contact immediately at the top of the arc. You want the car to stay in contact all the way down to the end of the arc. What does your expression ##v = \sqrt{Rg \cos(\theta)}## mean? How did you get it?

This is a minimax problem. You found the max speed at a given θ. You want the max speed that does not exceed that for any θ in a certain range.

kuruman said:
Hi Buffu and welcome to PF. :welcome:

Your answer is the speed at which the car loses contact immediately at the top of the arc. You want the car to stay in contact all the way down to the end of the arc. What does your expression ##v = \sqrt{Rg \cos(\theta)}## mean? How did you get it?

We know, from the diagram that ##{mv^2 \over R } = mg\cos(\theta) - N \qquad (1)##

Now maximum speed just before the car loses contact will be same as the minimum speed at which car loses contact.
If car loses contact then ##N = 0##
Thus ##(1)## becomes ##{mv^2 \over R } = mg\cos(\theta) \qquad (3)##

##{mv^2 \over R} = mg\cos(\theta)##
##v = \sqrt{Rg\cos(\theta)}##

So i think it means that the maximum permitted speed at any point is ##\sqrt{Rg\cos(\theta)}## for ##\theta## being the acute angle between ##mg## and ##N##(if we extend it towards the center).

haruspex said:
This is a minimax problem. You found the max speed at a given θ. You want the max speed that does not exceed that for any θ in a certain range.

I found that to be ##\sqrt{Rg}##.
I have be thinking about this for very long but can't find the answer. :(

Buffu said:
I found that to be √Rg.
No, that was using the max value of cos(θ). You need v to be below √(Rgcos(θ)) for all θ in some range, so you need to look for the least cos(θ) in that range.

Buffu said:
So i think it means that the maximum permitted speed at any point is ##\sqrt{Rg\cos(\theta)}## for θ being the acute angle between mg and N (if we extend it towards the center).
Yes, that is the maximum speed beyond which the car will fly off at some point on the arc. You want the car not to fly off anywhere along the arc. You don't care if the car flies off at the end of the arc. So what do you think angle θ should be in your expression?

haruspex said:
No, that was using the max value of cos(θ). You need v to be below √(Rgcos(θ)) for all θ in some range, so you need to look for the least cos(θ) in that range.
haruspex said:

Oh that means i need to find the highest value of ##\theta##, since ##\cos(\theta)## is decreasing in first quadrant. Thanks.

kuruman said:
Yes, that is the maximum speed beyond which the car will fly off at some point on the arc. You want the car not to fly off anywhere along the arc. You don't care if the car flies off at the end of the arc. So what do you think angle θ should be in your expression?

Got it thanks for the help.

1. What is maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path?

The maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path is the highest constant speed that an object can maintain while moving along a curved path without changing its direction.

2. How is maximum uniform speed calculated on an arc of a circular path?

The maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula v = √(r*g), where g is the gravitational acceleration.

3. What factors affect the maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path?

The maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path is affected by the radius of the circular path, the mass of the object, and the centripetal force acting on the object. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have an impact.

4. Can the maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can achieve. Therefore, the maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path affect the motion of an object?

The maximum uniform speed on an arc of a circular path determines the curvature of the object's trajectory. If the speed is too low, the object will not be able to complete the curve and will deviate from the circular path. If the speed is too high, the object will experience a greater centripetal force and may spin out of control.