1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transcendental Retarding Force

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boat with initial speed v[o] is launched, and experiences a retarding force of F = -ae^Bv, where a=alpha=constant and b=beta=constant

Find v(t)
    Find Time and Distance for the boat to stop

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    the second part for tmie and distance, I am attempting to solve using mathcad with a perturbative approach incrementing vt o find dv/dt, reinserting v-dv/dt until dv/dt approaches closely to zero. This makes sense, however, only with known values for alpha and beta. I can't really think of a way to formulate v(t).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    I retried the problem, and was able to do some integration by treating it as a differentials and deriving a seperable ODE. However, my answers seem very odd. Here's what I did.

m*dv/dt = -[tex]\alpha[/tex]*e^[tex]\beta[/tex]*v

dv[tex]/[/tex]e^[tex]\beta[/tex]*v = -[tex]\alpha[/tex]*dt[tex]/[/tex]m

letting u = e^-Bv
    du = -B*e^-Bv

[tex]\int[/tex]1/-B * du = [tex]\int[/tex]-A/m dt

going through all the integration...

we get

with v(0) = v0

constant = (m/a*B)*e^-Bv0

so... let && = A*B/m

v(t) = ln(&&*t + e^(-B*v0))/-b

which is weird to me, because the higher we set the initial velocity, the slower the speed is after a set t. Someone help!
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    It isn't wierd, because [tex]\beta[/tex] must be negative, or else the boat would move with negative velocity! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?