Transferable skills and the industries for engineers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transferring skills between industries in the field of engineering. The speaker shares their background and interests in mechanical engineering, aerospace, power plants, and renewable energy. They also mention their concerns about being pigeonholed in one area and the possibility of starting at the bottom if they were to switch industries. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that it is feasible to make a move early in one's career, but may become more challenging after gaining more experience in a specific industry.
TheDurianFruit
Hello everyone, I want to give some brief background info about myself before asking; I am a junior/senior undergraduate living in Southern California studying mechanical engineering, and leaning towards the thermo/fluids side of mechanical engineering. However, when it comes to "my true passion" or "where do you see yourself in 10 years" I don't really have a definitive answer, on one hand, the aerospace & defense companies were always my "dream" jobs(I was originally an Aerospace major coming out of high school) but I have also become interested in power plants,HVAC systems, and renewable energy. My question is how does transferable skills work in terms of changing industries if possible?

For an example: Let's say I graduate and land a thermal engineer position with an aerospace company and work there for 3-5 years, but then realize that it wasn't what I expected and wanted to switch industries and work on thermal power plants, is this move feasible?

Another example could be an electrical engineer working in the power industry, could that engineer switch to let's say the electronics industry and work on microprocessors?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I work in semiconductors as a physics graduate playing engineer. I can envision some work being transferable to another industry. But in my case, if I ever wanted to change fields I would have to start at the bottom. The work is far to specialized to have many transferable hard skills.

Likes TheDurianFruit
ModusPwnd said:
I work in semiconductors as a physics graduate playing engineer. I can envision some work being transferable to another industry. But in my case, if I ever wanted to change fields I would have to start at the bottom. The work is far to specialized to have many transferable hard skills.

That's one of the reasons I have kind of skirted semiconductor study in EE(I also don't really have an interest in it).

You seem very pigeonholed into one area, signal processing and control theory are fairly broadly applicable(I hope).

Likes TheDurianFruit
TheDurianFruit said:
For an example: Let's say I graduate and land a thermal engineer position with an aerospace company and work there for 3-5 years, but then realize that it wasn't what I expected and wanted to switch industries and work on thermal power plants, is this move feasible?
Yes it is feasible, especially early in your career. Later on, after say 10 or 15 years you will be more valuable to your current employer (since you will really understand whatever the business is, you will have customer contacts, etc) so then it is harder to move around. But even then, lots of people do it.

Likes TheDurianFruit

1. What are transferable skills?

Transferable skills are abilities, knowledge, and competencies that can be used in multiple industries and job roles. These skills are not specific to a particular job or field, and can be applied in different contexts.

2. Why are transferable skills important for engineers?

Engineers often work in diverse industries and may change jobs throughout their careers. Transferable skills allow engineers to adapt to new roles and industries, making them more versatile and employable. These skills also make it easier for engineers to transition into leadership or management positions.

3. What are some examples of transferable skills for engineers?

Some examples of transferable skills for engineers include critical thinking, problem-solving, project management, communication, teamwork, adaptability, and technical skills such as coding and design. These skills are valuable in a wide range of industries, including technology, construction, manufacturing, and research.

4. How can engineers develop transferable skills?

Engineers can develop transferable skills through various means, such as taking on diverse projects, seeking out learning opportunities outside of their field, and participating in professional development courses. Additionally, engineers can gain transferable skills through volunteer work, internships, and networking with professionals from different industries.

5. What industries are open to engineers with transferable skills?

Engineers with transferable skills can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, healthcare, energy, education, government, and consulting. These skills are also highly sought after in emerging fields such as renewable energy, biotechnology, and artificial intelligence.