Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring Doctuments and Pictures via Flashdrive

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    Hello Physics Forums!

I just got a new laptop, and I'm trying to transfer a lot of my word documents, powerpoints, spreadsheets and other documents to my new computer through an old flash drive. My concern is that I will accidentally transfer a virus in the process.

I replaced my old desktop computer because I kept on receiving the HD521-2W Failed SMART Short Test error message leading to me to find that my hard drive was failing. Should I be concerned about a virus being transferred from my old to new computer in the form of a file such as an office document? I have the free version of AVAST Virus Protection on both computers.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2
    If you don't have a virus on the old one, then no.

If you had anti-virus in place and never any warnings then it isn't something you should be concerned with.

To be doubly sure, simply copy everything onto the flash drive you need and then each time you insert it into the new PC, scan it with AV before proceeding to copy anything off it.

If you're really paranoid, use some kind of sandbox setup to mount it and catch the files.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook