1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring from engineering to physics

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    Hi.

I applied to University of Strathclyde in Glasgow (so I'm interested to hear about UK, not USA), to electrical and mechanical engineering as my firm choice and mathematics and physics as an insurance. I did that because engineering required better grades. It would seem ill-minded to choose firmly the program which has lower criteria of admittance, however I'm starting to regret my decision. In the last months I'm getting more and more convinced that an academic career is what I would like to pursue, thus Mathematics and physics would've been a much better choice.

My question is: is it possible to transfer from one program to another in the same university even if they are in different faculties (from Faculty of engineering to Faculty of science). I know that there is a big possibility that when I start my studies, I'll change my mind again, however, right now this question is bugging me.

Thanks for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2
    In EU countries it is possible - I transfered after 1st year of EE to EP (different faculty). I had a lot of extra work - I needed to complete extra courses which weren't a part of EE. It's obvious that there is a huge gap between a level of physics/math for eng studies and for physics/math studies. If you decide to study Physics you should have no problem with math however you may feel confused a little when taking 2nd year physics courses but you should be ok as long as you put any effort and study. Every university is different so I suggest you to ask ppl there.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  4. Aug 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the answer. That's all I needed to know - it's possible to transfer. Extra effort? Of course nothing is for free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook