Transition from Engineering to Physics

In summary, the person is wondering how many years they can skip in a 4-year bachelors physics program if they already have a degree in Electrical Engineering and are familiar with topics like electricity, magnetism, and mathematics. They are interested in theoretical and abstract concepts and may want to pursue a graduate degree in physics. They are seeking advice on how to make the transition and are unsure if their current knowledge will be sufficient.
medwatt
Hello,
I already have a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering. I was wondering that suppose I want to obtain a bachelors degree in Physics, for a 4 year bachelors physics program how many years will be allowed to skip given that I already know to my fingertips electricity and magnetism, waves, mathematics including Vector calculus, multivariable calculus, ODE and PDE, Complex Analysis as most of these were thought in courses like Field Theory, Microwave engineering, Communication engineering, Control eng etc etc.
Of course I am deficient when it comes to General relativity, which apart from the tidbit one learns from first year is all I know. My introductory physics included Special Relativity to its fullest and a little bit of Quantum and Particle Physics.
So how can I make the transition because I feel I have more love for theoretical and abstract things rather than making things to work.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
You should find a school you're interested in and contact the physics department.

Are you ultimately interested in going to grad school in physics? This thread can be a big help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

The question is, will they allow me given that I am not very familiar with what I have already stated !

1. How difficult is the transition from engineering to physics?

The difficulty of the transition from engineering to physics can vary depending on your background and experience. Both fields involve a lot of math and problem-solving, so if you have a strong foundation in these areas, the transition may be smoother. However, you may need to spend some time familiarizing yourself with the specific theories and concepts in physics that may not have been covered in your engineering curriculum.

2. What skills from engineering are transferable to physics?

Many of the skills learned in engineering are transferable to physics, including analytical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical abilities. Additionally, engineering often involves working with complex systems and data analysis, which can be valuable skills in the field of physics.

3. Are there any challenges in the job market for engineers transitioning to physics?

While there may be some challenges in terms of finding a position specifically in the field of physics, the skills and knowledge gained from an engineering background can make you a strong candidate for a variety of roles in physics-related industries. It may also be helpful to network with professionals in the field to gain insight and potential job opportunities.

4. What resources are available for engineers transitioning to physics?

There are several resources available for engineers who are interested in transitioning to physics. Many universities offer graduate programs or courses specifically designed for engineers looking to pursue a career in physics. Additionally, there are online courses and tutorials available to help bridge any knowledge gaps and prepare for the transition.

5. Can I still work in engineering with a physics background?

Yes, having a background in physics can be beneficial for engineering roles as it can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and theories behind engineering concepts. However, it may require some additional training or experience to fully transition back into an engineering role after obtaining a physics degree.