Transition from Engineering to Physics

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
Hello,
I already have a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering. I was wondering that suppose I want to obtain a bachelors degree in Physics, for a 4 year bachelors physics program how many years will be allowed to skip given that I already know to my fingertips electricity and magnetism, waves, mathematics including Vector calculus, multivariable calculus, ODE and PDE, Complex Analysis as most of these were thought in courses like Field Theory, Microwave engineering, Communication engineering, Control eng etc etc.
Of course I am deficient when it comes to General relativity, which apart from the tidbit one learns from first year is all I know. My introductory physics included Special Relativity to its fullest and a little bit of Quantum and Particle Physics.
So how can I make the transition because I feel I have more love for theoretical and abstract things rather than making things to work.
Thanks

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You should find a school you're interested in and contact the physics department.

Are you ultimately interested in going to grad school in physics? This thread can be a big help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966
The question is, will they allow me given that I am not very familiar with what I have already stated !