Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transform Cylindrical coordinates into Cartesian Coordiantes

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    I've learned that a vector in coordinate system can be expressed as follows:
    A = axAx+ayAy+azAz.
    ai, i = x, y, z, are the base vectors.
    The transformation matrix from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordiantes is:
    Ax cosΦ -sinΦ 0 Ar
    Ay = sinΦ cosΦ 0 mutiplye by AΦ
    Az 0 0 1 Az

and the conversion formula
    x = rcosΦ
    y = rsinΦ
    z = z

1. What's the difference between this two kind of equations?
    2. Why Ax is not equal to x?
    3. I was told that Ax might be a function of x, y and z. Is the latter kind of equaltions has a prerequisite that ax = (1, 0, 0), but in the first kind of equations, the base vector can be anything else?
    4. From the matrix, Ax = cosΦAr - sinΦAΦ, that is not equal to x = rcosΦ !? Why? How should I apply the transformation matrix?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ax cosΦ -sinΦ 0 Ar
    Ay = sinΦ cosΦ 0 mutiplye by AΦ
    Az 0 0 1 Az
    Above is confusing - looks like typos.

4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    sorry, it should be Unnamed QQ Screenshot20141009091728.png . The formula was not inserted successfully.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  5. Oct 9, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The matrix formulation looks like a rotation of the (x,y) coordinates around the z axis through an angle φ, not a conversion from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook